Dev Update 11/20/2018

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Dev Update 11/20/2018

Postby BS4125 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Achilles wrote:The Sheriff change is a pretty easy server only change (and a little client XML) if there is a lot of agreement on that.

Yes, me and others would highly recommend it

Spoiler:
lemonader666 wrote:
Seththeking wrote:
BS4125 wrote:Please post relevant posts to the topic at hand and not digress. Also please explain your opinions otherwise your contribution is sub-zero.

Oooooooo Mister Power over here!

And would you look at that, I was on the forums longer then you.

But overall the role for this topic needs work, I mean it's so bad people would rather
get off topic lol.

solola is a mod you retard
BS4125
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Parallax7 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:12 pm

BS4125 wrote:
Achilles wrote:The Sheriff change is a pretty easy server only change (and a little client XML) if there is a lot of agreement on that.

Yes, me and others would highly recommend it

+1

Note:
TG’s sheriff functions as such.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Discord: Parallax#4977
Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Location: .-. .. --. .... - / -... . .... .. -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- (EST)

Postby DragonClaw66 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:22 pm

The Bodyguard is dealt an unstoppable attack when counterattacking (can no longer be healed or protected during a counter).
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby ManateeDude » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:12 pm

I would agree on changing the Sheriff, it helps out SKs/WWs especially and I can't really see any major lashback on it happening
they/she

Discord: light fagami#0016
ManateeDude
Medium
Medium

Postby orangeandblack5 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm down with a Sheriff change in the manner described.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Razbae » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 am

Gotta love it when a small minority decide what's best for the entire community. Just saying if you make changes without community involvement it's extremely risky. It's not just the devs or the few in this thread that play the game. Something that sounds great to you guys might have inherent issues with others that play a different mode, play a different strategy, etc.

If it seems like I'm ranting about nonsense then I'd like to ask if anyone here can remember the history of the transporter role alone. Yikes.
Razbae
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby BasicFourLife » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:35 am

Razbae wrote:Gotta love it when a small minority decide what's best for the entire community. Just saying if you make changes without community involvement it's extremely risky. It's not just the devs or the few in this thread that play the game. Something that sounds great to you guys might have inherent issues with others that play a different mode, play a different strategy, etc.

If it seems like I'm ranting about nonsense then I'd like to ask if anyone here can remember the history of the transporter role alone. Yikes.

The difference between that and this, is that the small minority consisted of only the Developers and they barely have any balance knowledge proven by their history of balancing the game solely themselves. While here, the change has been confirmed and accepted by anyone who can think logically.
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Parallax7 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:51 am

Razbae wrote:Gotta love it when a small minority decide what's best for the entire community. Just saying if you make changes without community involvement it's extremely risky. It's not just the devs or the few in this thread that play the game. Something that sounds great to you guys might have inherent issues with others that play a different mode, play a different strategy, etc.

If the majority wanted a game that consisted of very poorly balanced roles, for example Firefighter, the people who desire balance would stop playing it. As many "balancers" already have.

The issue with a mafia style game like Town of Salem, is that not everyone has the potential to be happy at the moment. So yeah, a small minority making the decisions for this game isn’t a bad thing, if this supposed majority cared so much, we wouldn’t be a minority, now would we? No, we wouldn’t. There is no excuse not to get involved and voice your desires as a player, or get involved with the community(ies) that provide a medium for this.

As far as I’m concerned these players’ desires are irrelevant. Login to your forum account and contribute to this minority of people.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 am

The Sheriff change reminds me of those terrible Exes/Jesters who would claim Sheriff and claim that their target was “sus” without any details. It feels weird to me that such an obvious lie would become the truth with this update even though that’s probably the point.

I wonder how much easier it will be to fake-claim Sheriff effectively because of this change.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby orangeandblack5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:09 am

You're here. What do you not like? Why?

Is it the suggested Framer change? Is it the suggested Sheriff change?

What's wrong with these ideas?

If you are seeing issues we don't, please vocalize them so they can be improved.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Kikigiri » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 am

It wouldn't hurt to create a thread for that proposed change in particular and run it for a week to collect feedback before implementing it, anyway. If nothing else it would help get the news out so more people know about mechanics changes in advance. Maybe start something for it both here and on the /r/TownOfSalem subreddit if the idea is to get the word out before it happens.
Please put the Witch in Coven mode. I miss it. :-(
Kikigiri
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:45 am

I HIGHLY encourage making Arsonist detectable by Sheriff/appears “Suspicious” when this change is made. It only further levels Sheriff with Investigator.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby orangeandblack5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Parallax7 wrote:

I HIGHLY encourage making Arsonist detectable by Sheriff/appears “Suspicious” when this change is made. It only further levels Sheriff with Investigator.

Sounds good to me
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Kikigiri wrote:It wouldn't hurt to create a thread for that proposed change in particular and run it for a week to collect feedback before implementing it, anyway. If nothing else it would help get the news out so more people know about mechanics changes in advance. Maybe start something for it both here and on the /r/TownOfSalem subreddit if the idea is to get the word out before it happens.

All BMG staff will not communicate on reddit anymore. The mods allow known botters and trolls like Grenze to post anti-dev propaganda and even reward him with unique flairs.

The Sheriff change is done and prepped for the next update.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby orangeandblack5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Is it possible to usurp the Reddit mods?

That seems like a bad thing to have in your name.
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:08 pm

orangeandblack5 wrote:
Parallax7 wrote:
Sounds good to me
Does Arsonist really need the nerf, though? I think it doesn't.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Jerme » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Since doused players receive the Arsonists invest result groups, its very likely that they also receive the Arsonists sheriff results.
If its not happening atm, please add this Achilles.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Jerme wrote:Since doused players receive the Arsonists invest result groups, its very likely that they also receive the Arsonist's sheriff results.
Regardless of whether dousing frames people as "sus" to the Sheriff or not, it's still an unnecessary nerf to the Arsonist to have Arsonists count as "sus".
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Jerme wrote:Since doused players receive the Arsonists invest result groups, its very likely that they also receive the Arsonists sheriff results.

Small change but please make Arsonist detectable, yes.

MysticMismagius wrote:
Jerme wrote:Since doused players receive the Arsonists invest result groups, its very likely that they also receive the Arsonist's sheriff results.
Regardless of whether dousing frames people as "sus" to the Sheriff or not, it's still an unnecessary nerf to the Arsonist to have Arsonists count as "sus".

It’s a needed nerf.

Currently ~ Arsonist is immune to Sheriff, which is bad in an of itself, since it’s resistant to other Investigatives, (Lookout/Investigator), not immune. This is a counterbuff to Sheriff, and a balancing modification to keep Arsonist from being literal god tier.
Last edited by Parallax7 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby WittyRecluse » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Parallax7 wrote:
Jerme wrote:Since doused players receive the Arsonists invest result groups, its very likely that they also receive the Arsonists sheriff results.

MysticMismagius wrote:

It’s a needed nerf.

Currently ~ Arsonist is immune to Sheriff, which is bad in an of itself, since it’s resistant to other Investigatives, (Lookout/Investigator), not immune. This is a counterbuff to Sheriff, and a balancing modification to keep Arsonist from being literal god tier.

Arsonist is already the weakest role and nerfing it is not the way to go.
WittyRecluse
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Jerme » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:47 pm

@Rekcah: The Arsonist is immune to every protective role, do you honestly think they are the weakest role ingame?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 pm

WittyRecluse wrote:
Parallax7 wrote:

MysticMismagius wrote:

It’s a needed nerf.

One, this nerf would hardly be noticeable.

Two, this is a compensatory buff for Sheriff, seeking consistency for all TIs.

Finally, no, it isn’t, it’s immunity to Bodyguard puts it ahead of Serial Killer, easily.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby WittyRecluse » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Jerme wrote:@Rekcah: The Arsonist is immune to every protective role, do you honestly think they are the weakest role ingame?

Yes they are, and any ranked player can tell you the same.

The immunity to bodyguard was a negligible change that was mostly targeted at the Jailor meta, rather than arsonist strength. Arsonist is the weakest role because of its extremely low kill rate.
Last edited by WittyRecluse on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WittyRecluse
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Parallax7 wrote:
WittyRecluse wrote:
Parallax7 wrote:
MysticMismagius wrote:
It’s a needed nerf.

One, this nerf would hardly be noticeable.

Two, this is a compensatory buff for Sheriff, seeking consistency for all TIs.

Finally, no, it isn’t, its immunity to Bodyguard puts it ahead of Serial Killer, easily.
Maybe in an endgame situation it does, but SK is still better overall. I still hear plenty of people saying Arsonist is the worst NK role even after the bypassing TP buff.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:39 pm

I’m already thinking about an NK buff pass coming soon. Current ideas I’m mulling around: arsonist can douse 2 people each night, WW can do a basic attack on non fullmoon nights, sk gets powerful attack
Achilles
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements