Town of Salem moves away from Free To Play

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Town of Salem moves away from Free To Play

Postby BRVR » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:51 pm

wait who created town of salem
THE GREAT KIJAH IS BACK AND IS HERE TO STAY!
I AM OPEN TO MAKING NEW FRIENDS TO FILL THE VOID IN MY HEART OF SADNESS!
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby mnisr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:17 pm

Yay, maybe the classic unranked modes won't be horrible now!
mnisr

Postby Swordsworth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am

bluewave41 wrote:
Swordsworth wrote:So my account, grandfathered in, does not receive the benefits of being a premium account?

shapesifter13 wrote:A grandfathered account does not mean you now have a premium account however. If you hadn’t already purchased premium you still will not get the double merit points after the change, but you will be able to continue playing ToS for free.

>donor
Spoiler: Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me

S E N A T O R M E M E C H I N O
Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby Moseylion » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 pm

What part of "or played at least one game." Do you not get? Why do people NOT read things? Please, EVERYONE reread shapeshifters reply. He clearly states who will and will not be affected by this. This is not hard. This is not quantum physics or coding, people. If you are still confused, please come find me in games, I will explain it more for you, I am Jingle Belle until Dec 26th. :D :D After that? I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN! happy lynching everyone
Moseylion
Executioner
Executioner

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:05 am

No, kickstarter benefits are different from owning mobile/steam/web premium.
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Postby KarlBowers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 am

Does the P2P thing will last long or it will be forever? Since that I want to invite more friends.
My IGN: An Innocent Guy
Online every friday on ToS

My Discord: KarlBowers#3526
Join the Trial System Discord!(Not Sponsored): https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS

The Introduction Game
KarlBowers
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 am

KarlBowers wrote:Does the P2P thing will last long or it will be forever? Since that I want to invite more friends.

Probably for the foreseeable future.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Kirize12 wrote:
PyromonkeyGG wrote:No, kickstarter benefits are different from owning mobile/steam/web premium.

But kickstarter benefits remain despite not having the game purchased?

All kickstarter backers were grandfathered in as long as they redeemed the code on an account. These bonuses are usually special cosmetics and will still be there.
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Postby orangeandblack5 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm

No because there are literally better reasons for this than BMG turning a profit

Like it directly helps everybody who is actually playing the game in several ways

Focus on that
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby mdb1023 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm

OOF. Had a busy weekend and didn't see this till now.

I have very mixed feelings about this but all in all I think the pros far outweigh the cons. Honestly this was an inevitability and it's just been snowballing over the past few years. And honestly, I don't think people should complain about the cost. A) if you're reading this, it means you're being grandfathered in so you won't have to pay AT ALL, and B) 5 bucks isn't that much at all. Hell, even working at minimum wage you can make that in less than an hour. But again, if you're reading this, it means you won't have to pay anyways, and I doubt newer players will even know the difference.
Discord: Finn#5059

http://www.twitch.tv/mikeakafinn?sr=a

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby Achilles » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

HIG665 wrote:I'd personally suggest changing the price of the regular down to 2-3 pounds due to the fact why purchase the regular version on the web for £5 when you can get the premium version on Steam for £5. You should either raise the price of premium or lower the price of regular.

You seem to be confused. There is no regular vs premium price. Premium is the only purchase. Web Premium for $5 gives equivalent rewards to Steam at $5.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Ihaveexpectations » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:32 am

I believe that a more reasonable solution would have been to add phone verification.
Ihaveexpectations

Postby lemonader666 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:11 am

mdb1023 wrote:OOF. Had a busy weekend and didn't see this till now.

I have very mixed feelings about this but all in all I think the pros far outweigh the cons. Honestly this was an inevitability and it's just been snowballing over the past few years. And honestly, I don't think people should complain about the cost. A) if you're reading this, it means you're being grandfathered in so you won't have to pay AT ALL, and B) 5 bucks isn't that much at all. Hell, even working at minimum wage you can make that in less than an hour. But again, if you're reading this, it means you won't have to pay anyways, and I doubt newer players will even know the difference.

Not everyone lives in a first-world country, finn.

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 am

Not being rude but there are plenty of social dudection games out there the main grab of tos was the free to play and still being pretty good people will move to free to play social deduction games instead of paying £5
Also there are better games that are social deduction that cost money are are more worth it.

It's going to effect tos because there won't be hardly any new people
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby orangeandblack5 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:48 am

I mean you say that but the other free options all have severely reduced graphical capabilities and even worse balancing issues.

Or are one-nights and therefore play completely differently.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 am

orangeandblack5 wrote:I mean you say that but the other free options all have severely reduced graphical capabilities and even worse balancing issues.

Or are one-nights and therefore play completely differently.

Well there is a way better option that is pay only. *cough* *cough* your on the forums

Also the other free to plays aren't as good but will be the new ones to play
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:25 pm

lemonader666 wrote:

Not everyone lives in a first-world country, finn.

I think that if you even know what this game is you can spare 5 dollars.

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Flake wrote:

I don't think you are understanding why people are complaining about the price. It's not as simple as "hurr I want the game cheaper"; no one is caring about themselves with respect to wanting the price tag to be smaller. As you said, that would make no sense, because the people complaining are grandfathered in. The reason people are complaining about the price here is because it's easy to imagine that, with a $5 price, player growth is going to drop rather drastically. The argument for lowering the price is that the price doesn't need to be as high as $5 to achieve what devs want to achieve, that is attempting to reduce the effects of bots/toxicity on the game, and simultaneously, dropping the price would largely help to retain player growth.

$5 might not be a lot to players who know most/all features of the game and can make a sound judgement on whether $5 is a good price for what is gained, but to most new players, it is largely unknown what the game has to offer. As such, they have far more incentive to not take a risk buying something which they might rarely play or never play.

And yeah i get that concern but like I guarantee that most new players don't stick around anyways. Furthermore if you purchase the game I feel you're more likely to play it more often. That said I wouldn't be against perhaps a free trial where you can only play classic just to get an idea of how the game works before you buy.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:04 pm

what rule changes are you referring to?

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:12 pm

ShuuIwamine wrote:
mdb1023 wrote:what rule changes are you referring to?

To list a few:

-You have to claim on the stand, or it's gamethrowing.
-You can no longer lie about your role if you are Town at any point during the game, or it's gamethrowing.
-Not counterclaiming is gamethrowing.

I don't believe any of those were ever officially implemented as rules but really it's a matter or principle- there's no reason not to claim on the stand if you're town because you will get lynched if you do. But this is completely irrelevant to the topic, anyways.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:19 pm

This is the first I've heard of anyone "begging" to change these rules and I'd say I'm online here fairly frequently, so I really don't think that needs to be a priority. Right now cleaning up the community is a huge issue and it's come to the point where they cannot do anything else to fix it. TBH they should have done this a long time ago, BMG isn't a big enough company to properly manage a community in a F2P game. If they were bigger and had more resources, they probably could, but even then it'd still be pretty toxic (Fortnite comes to mind...)

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby WittyRecluse » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:27 pm

mdb1023 wrote:This is the first I've heard of anyone "begging" to change these rules and I'd say I'm online here fairly frequently, so I really don't think that needs to be a priority. Right now cleaning up the community is a huge issue and it's come to the point where they cannot do anything else to fix it. TBH they should have done this a long time ago, BMG isn't a big enough company to properly manage a community in a F2P game. If they were bigger and had more resources, they probably could, but even then it'd still be pretty toxic (Fortnite comes to mind...)

MDB, you are arguing with a YamiChan alt. It's not worth your time, we've all learned that.
WittyRecluse
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

If it's not happening publicly then I wouldn't believe it's as big of a deal as you say it is. If people were being in mass by a truly unfair rule, the outrage wouldn't all be happening behind closed doors.
Coven mode may take a little longer to start up but i've never had an unreasonable wait time. The Ranked issue could be fixed by simply redoing how the queue works so you can see how many people are waiting. Hell, the issue can be completely fixed by showing lobbies for games before you join them so you can see exactly what's filling up and what isn't from the main menu.

And as for your second point, I will say that you could apply that same logic to any other P2P game. 5 dollars isn't a ton of money and people pay way more for worse games. That, and new player wouldn't even know the difference. Everyone freaked out when they got rid of Mayor whispers, but when I talked about it with newer players they didn't even think twice about it.

P-edit: Oh that's Yami? That sure explains a lot.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby WittyRecluse » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:33 pm

ShuuIwamine wrote:
WittyRecluse wrote:MDB, you are arguing with a YamiChan alt. It's not worth your time, we've all learned that.

I don't know what you're babbling about, but please stop harassing me. We're trying to talk here.

https://gyazo.com/883e88a36a0c4075906f8cef87e071b6
WittyRecluse
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 pm

ShuuIwamine wrote:
WittyRecluse wrote:MDB, you are arguing with a YamiChan alt. It's not worth your time, we've all learned that.

I don't know what you're babbling about, but please stop harassing me. We're trying to talk here.

mdb1023 wrote:If it's not happening publicly then I wouldn't believe it's as big of a deal as you say it is. If people were being in mass by a truly unfair rule, the outrage wouldn't all be happening behind closed doors.
Coven mode may take a little longer to start up but i've never had an unreasonable wait time. The Ranked issue could be fixed by simply redoing how the queue works so you can see how many people are waiting. Hell, the issue can be completely fixed by showing lobbies for games before you join them so you can see exactly what's filling up and what isn't from the main menu.

And as for your second point, I will say that you could apply that same logic to any other P2P game. 5 dollars isn't a ton of money and people pay way more for worse games. That, and new player wouldn't even know the difference. Everyone freaked out when they got rid of Mayor whispers, but when I talked about it with newer players they didn't even think twice about it.

I believe people are doing it privately out of fear of backlash. Some sites, like this one and Reddit, can be particularly nasty to those who have different viewpoints than them. Even a few dollars is a lot of money for some people, but I guess only time will tell how it will work out.

Ok well I'm here to tell you that if this were really happening, I GUARANTEE that not everyone who is getting unfairly banned would be afraid of backlash. I've seen many different types of personalities.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements