Patch 2.1.0 Ranked Season One Begins!

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Patch 2.1.0 Ranked Season One Begins!

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 am

Vampire absolutely should NOT appear in ranked games, nor should any neutral chaos role for that matter. Chaos is not for competitive play. As for the any slot, it was too swingy- it either made town or maf extremely overpowered and you never knew for sure how many scum are left which you absolutely should know. As for NB, it's far too townsided for Ranked.
Discord: Finn#5059

http://www.twitch.tv/mikeakafinn?sr=a

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby lavaheart23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm

mdb1023 wrote:Vampire absolutely should NOT appear in ranked games, nor should any neutral chaos role for that matter. Chaos is not for competitive play. As for the any slot, it was too swingy- it either made town or maf extremely overpowered and you never knew for sure how many scum are left which you absolutely should know. As for NB, it's far too townsided for Ranked.

I agree with that vampire and NB shouldn't be in ranked, but I do think that the any was a good slot in the role list. Part of the fun of the any was the unknown factor. With the new role list, you know exactly how many evils there will be. The Any slot gave an element of surprise to the game, because you wouldn't know whether there is an additional evil, or another town. Yeah, it can be swingy, but sometimes that can make a game much more interesting.
lavaheart23
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:10 pm

lavaheart23 wrote:
mdb1023 wrote:Vampire absolutely should NOT appear in ranked games, nor should any neutral chaos role for that matter. Chaos is not for competitive play. As for the any slot, it was too swingy- it either made town or maf extremely overpowered and you never knew for sure how many scum are left which you absolutely should know. As for NB, it's far too townsided for Ranked.

I agree with that vampire and NB shouldn't be in ranked, but I do think that the any was a good slot in the role list. Part of the fun of the any was the unknown factor. With the new role list, you know exactly how many evils there will be. The Any slot gave an element of surprise to the game, because you wouldn't know whether there is an additional evil, or another town. Yeah, it can be swingy, but sometimes that can make a game much more interesting.

I don't care how interesting it makes the game: SWINGY. IS. BAD. FOR. COMPETITIVE. PLAY!
The new role list isn't perfect, but it's damn near close! You should always know exactly how many enemies you have otherwise a surprise 4th maf or 2nd NK is just unfair because you weren't planning for it and can throw off your entire game.

Please give me one reason why making the game "more interesting" is good for balance.

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby Joco » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:15 pm

You can have your opinion just like I do have mine. I don't get people caring about "competitiveness" in this game. You literally earn nothing by playing "competitively", if that's even possible to begin with. Only thing that can be done making games easier to win is vfr & metagaming, which most of the people hate to play against. This game is for fun and removing aspects of what makes this game more complex and enjoyable is definitely a bad thing even if you refuse to admit it.
Joco
Jester
Jester

Postby mdb1023 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Joco wrote:You can have your opinion just like I do have mine. I don't get people caring about "competitiveness" in this game. You literally earn nothing by playing "competitively", if that's even possible to begin with. Only thing that can be done making games easier to win is vfr & metagaming, which most of the people hate to play against. This game is for fun and removing aspects of what makes this game more complex and enjoyable is definitely a bad thing even if you refuse to admit it.

You misunderstand my stance:
I'm all for keeping the fun and random aspects in the game. I'm actually fond of the really fucking chaotic roles like Vampire and pirate just because it's so unpredictable. however, while all that is fun, it does not belong in a competitive game mode, which is what Ranked is. If we're going to have a ranked mode that keeps track of and glorifies how often you win, then those chaotic and unpredictable elements of the game are unfair because of just that: they're unpredictable and chaotic. So suppose, for example, you managed to kill 2 mafia members as jailor before getting killed and town is on the verge of winning. But, surprise, there's vampires in the game and the remaining town decide to all get themselves converted so they can all win with the vampires, but since you died before that happened you lose Elo, even though you were a major contributor to town's elimination of mafia. That's unfair for a competitive game mode. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm not suggesting that the whole game needs to be balanced and unchaotic- just Ranked and ranked practice because they're meant to be competitive.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Joco » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:00 pm

I understand what you are saying but that is a very specific situation. There are a ton of random aspects in this game. Your teammates, your opponents, random roles etc. and just because these exists the game won't become less competitive. Being competitive means that you can adapt to these kind of situations. Imo the point of ranked is to have people of similar skill level play with so you don't have to deal with newbies who don't know what they are doing.
Joco
Jester
Jester

Postby mdb1023 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Things like random team mates and roles are a given in any mode you play in. But things like surprise vampires of a second arsonist are just plain unfair and bad for balance. Id like to know how you would "adapt" to the jailor situation I described above.
There's more to Ranked than it being a place to play with similar levels of experience. It's called RANKED for a reason. I'm sorry, I know this is going to make me sound like a douche, but your "opinion" is objectively wrong. Ranked is meant to be a competitive mode-that's true for not just Town of Salem but literally EVERY game that has ranked matches.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby andilin1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm

mdb1023 wrote:Things like random team mates and roles are a given in any mode you play in. But things like surprise vampires of a second arsonist are just plain unfair and bad for balance. Id like to know how you would "adapt" to the jailor situation I described above.
There's more to Ranked than it being a place to play with similar levels of experience. It's called RANKED for a reason. I'm sorry, I know this is going to make me sound like a douche, but your "opinion" is objectively wrong. Ranked is meant to be a competitive mode-that's true for not just Town of Salem but literally EVERY game that has ranked matches.

mdb ur opionions sucks

vamp is gr8
THE

FM

AUTIST

Really fucking bad at speaking English too :P
andilin1
Spy
Spy

Postby mdb1023 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Vamp is fine, but it's horrible for Ranked. I mean, really!

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Shilster » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 am

andilin1 wrote:
mdb1023 wrote:Things like random team mates and roles are a given in any mode you play in. But things like surprise vampires of a second arsonist are just plain unfair and bad for balance. Id like to know how you would "adapt" to the jailor situation I described above.

mdb ur opionions sucks

vamp is gr8

Vamp is a trash role and should be removed
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Amythyr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Shilster wrote:
andilin1 wrote:

mdb ur opionions sucks

vamp is gr8

I agree with you.

There shouldn't be conversion roles at all(unless there is separate game mode for them)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
― George Carlin
Amythyr
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby mdb1023 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 pm

Amythyr wrote:
Shilster wrote:
andilin1 wrote:

mdb ur opionions sucks

vamp is gr8

I agree with you.

There shouldn't be conversion roles at all(unless there is separate game mode for them)

I'd be down for a separate vamp game mode

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:35 am

thats why there was 8 towns and one NB with three mafia I get vampires where unbalanced, also NB would get more elo siding with evils and NB would side with evils if they got the chance.
Town is the most powerful faction, that's why the get less elo, Neutral benign siding with them, would lead to even less elo, also Jester can side with town because it's basically a neutral benign role, heck it could even kill the godfather or serial killer.
Even if Neutral benign sided with town it's because they where going to win anyway, if it was 2(maifa) v 2(town) (Or something similar) almost every time a Survivor would side with the mafia because they would get more elo, Amnesiac would either wait or remember early.
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 am

Also I get you love competitive, but whats the point of playing the game if it is a lot more boring. I thought the elo was depended on how much you had a chance so in a why even if it was harder for you, if you are Werewolf you'd struggle but get more elo for it.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am

Soulshade55r wrote:Also I get you love competitive, but whats the point of playing the game if it is a lot more boring. I thought the elo was depended on how much you had a chance so in a why even if it was harder for you, if you are Werewolf you'd struggle but get more elo for it.

Competitive does not equal boring. Sure, maybe by your definition it is, but then that's your opinion and not the be all end all.

Soulshade55r wrote:

thats why there was 8 towns and one NB with three mafia I get vampires where unbalanced, also NB would get more elo siding with evils and NB would side with evils if they got the chance.
Town is the most powerful faction, that's why the get less elo, Neutral benign siding with them, would lead to even less elo, also Jester can side with town because it's basically a neutral benign role, heck it could even kill the godfather or serial killer.
Even if Neutral benign sided with town it's because they where going to win anyway, if it was 2(maifa) v 2(town) (Or something similar) almost every time a Survivor would side with the mafia because they would get more elo, Amnesiac would either wait or remember early.

The problem with NB tho is amnesiac- which is far too townsided for Ranked.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:08 am

Town is far too town sided for ranked...
-_- did you know that the side that has the most chance gets less elo, so if amne remebers town they get rewarded less, because it was easier. Also the game is a lot more boring in ranked in comparison to the old one, Also Neutral benign is a never used role type (Now) Unless you play all any but that mode is trash.
A lot of players hate this change, I agree games are usually a lot more balanced for town and mafia, but two neutrals, the neutral killing is just going to lose, most players quit being NK, because their is no chance that you'll win.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Shilster » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:Town is far too town sided for ranked...
-_- did you know that the side that has the most chance gets less elo, so if amne remebers town they get rewarded less, because it was easier. Also the game is a lot more boring in ranked in comparison to the old one, Also Neutral benign is a never used role type (Now) Unless you play all any but that mode is trash.
A lot of players hate this change, I agree games are usually a lot more balanced for town and mafia, but two neutrals, the neutral killing is just going to lose, most players quit being NK, because their is no chance that you'll win.

There's no NB in Ranked...

NK wins are rare, but it is still possible.
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Shilster wrote:

I find that they're rare because people don't even bother trying to win as NK

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Shilster » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 pm

mdb1023 wrote:
Shilster wrote:

I find that they're rare because people don't even bother trying to win as NK

Well I tried. Escort fucked me over two times in a row.
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 pm

It happens. You can get completely screwed over as any role.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Soulshade55r » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 am

Shilster wrote:

I was talking about the old ranked, I'm currently at 1400 elo I think I would figure that out.
Not saying NB is massively balanced, but that's why there is a elo system, advantaged players get less, vise versa, NB siding with the weaker team, means that they will get more elo (Not siding with town), the weaker will get less elo has a results because of the total number of wins.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 pm

You know what I'm gonna do some "research" and play around 50 games of ranked, Look at the win percentage.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby ProfessorArceus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am

Soulshade55r wrote:You know what I'm gonna do some "research" and play around 50 games of ranked, Look at the win percentage.

Post them please, I can't find anything to do with the new ranked season.
I'm your average British fuckup.
Spoiler:
2:27, 'Fuck up Jeremy Corbyn' ~ The average YouTube comments section.

STRONG AND STABLE GOVERNMENT Y'ALL

FM Stuff
Spoiler: I'm not shameless.
ProfessorArceus
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby JayChef » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 am

I still think it's funny to see Vampire Hunter 7% chance on the wheel as the roles scroll by. I think a solution to the 'Any' problem was to put restrictions on what 'Any' could be. I.e. limit the combinations that could happen. Still keeps mystery without breaking it....

That and let the SK not kill the jailor night 1...
JayChef
Jester
Jester

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 pm

ProfessorArceus wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:You know what I'm gonna do some "research" and play around 50 games of ranked, Look at the win percentage.

Post them please, I can't find anything to do with the new ranked season.

I've done around 20 right now. (Still need more but I'm busy with IRL)

Ranked win rate
Game: 20
Town 8/20 (40%)
Mafia 11/20 (55%)
Neutral Killing 1/20 (5%)
Neutral evil 14/20 (70%)

Serial Killer 0/6 (0%)
Werewolf 0/8 (0%)
Arsonist 1/6 (17%)

Witch 1/6 (17%)

Executioner 8/10 (80%)
Jester 3/4 (75%)

What I gathered from this so far, playing Nk is worse then old ranked, mafia are way more powerful then town in a lot of cases, executioner/jester are very easy and witch is hard.

I still need to do more games. Because this isn't big enough
I'm hoping to get 100 games to find out what side has more chance I would also do coven but there ranked is impossible to get in.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements