Tutorial, Double Merit Point Weekends, and More!

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Tutorial, Double Merit Point Weekends, and More!

Postby Jerme » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 am

SpellChecker wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:
SpellChecker wrote:Great work, but what about the reconnect button?

We've been waiting on that for years, and I think it should be in game already.

I don't think this patch is the entirety of 1.6...

What does 1.6 have to do with this?

I don't recall anyone mentioning 1.6 will include a reconnect button...Though if it will, that's great.

I posted it somewhere that I guess/hope that said button will be included in Patch 1.6 as this could fit to the ranked overhaul.
Also sicne there was a small patch, shouldn't be the version raised to 1.5.11?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hessman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 am

I do not know how to activate the Tutorial for my younger brother who does not seem to grasp the concept just yet. Can I get some clarification on that?
Hessman

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 am

Hessman wrote:I do not know how to activate the Tutorial for my younger brother who does not seem to grasp the concept just yet. Can I get some clarification on that?

In the home screen, you could click settings, and in the menu, general. Then, you could choose whether to display all messages, unshown messages, or no messages.

I just tried that tutorial, and it seems much better than the first one. However, it could use a bit of tweaking. First, it should show the morning stage message only once every day rather than before every death. I just played an All Any game where there were eight deaths in one night (2 Arsonists and a Werewolf), and I could imagine it being annoying for a new player for that message to keep popping up. Also, before you start a game, it should explain the concept of the game. When I first played the game (which happened to be when tutorial v1 was a thing), I thought everyone's goal was to be the last person standing. It does not have to be much, but there should just be a message explaining how the two main teams are Town and Mafia and that there are also Neutral roles.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Hessman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 am

alex1234321 wrote:
Hessman wrote:I do not know how to activate the Tutorial for my younger brother who does not seem to grasp the concept just yet. Can I get some clarification on that?

In the home screen, you could click settings, and in the menu, general. Then, you could choose whether to display all messages, unshown messages, or no messages.

I just tried that tutorial, and it seems much better than the first one. However, it could use a bit of tweaking. First, it should show the morning stage message only once every day rather than before every death. I just played an All Any game where there were eight deaths in one night (2 Arsonists and a Werewolf), and I could imagine it being annoying for a new player for that message to keep popping up. Also, before you start a game, it should explain the concept of the game. When I first played the game (which happened to be when tutorial v1 was a thing), I thought everyone's goal was to be the last person standing. It does not have to be much, but there should just be a message explaining how the two main teams are Town and Mafia and that there are also Neutral roles.

Thank you for that, I see it now and I am going to test it out. Thank you again.
Hessman

Postby shapesifter13 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:11 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
Hessman wrote:First, it should show the morning stage message only once every day rather than before every death. I just played an All Any game where there were eight deaths in one night (2 Arsonists and a Werewolf), and I could imagine it being annoying for a new player for that message to keep popping up.

When the tutorial is actually going it will mark tips as read as you click the OK button, so this shouldn't happen. The show all tips setting never marks the tips as read so anytime they would be triggered they are triggered again.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby chitownmvp01 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:00 pm

GJ Devs! Keep up the great work! :D

I'm excited for 1.6! :D
Spoiler: Image

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby quinap » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm

paulheymeng wrote:will theme packs ever be purchasable with merit points?

Yes they are half price
quinap
Jester
Jester

Postby shelboo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 pm

quinap wrote:
paulheymeng wrote:will theme packs ever be purchasable with merit points?

Yes they are half price

The more expensive theme packs were lowered in Town Points pricing, but they are not available for Merit Points.

Edit: Also, I take it that the sound effect for a revived target was added in this patch?
shelboo
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby Stolith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:23 am

Amnesiacs being able to remember cleaned roles wasn't a bug! Why'd you change it?!
Stolith
Witch
Witch

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:41 am

Stolith wrote:Amnesiacs being able to remember cleaned roles wasn't a bug! Why'd you change it?!

Likely balance reasons, but they wouldn't have marked it as a bug in the Patch Note.

I'm assuming this wasn't their intentions originally, as I can even find some previous posts saying remembering a cleaned role as an Amnesiac (non-unique, in addition to unique) was not intended. (one by myself, so not sure where the others went.)

Edit; viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57233&p=1886199#p1886175 Shelboo even says it here and this was the original War-Torn patch.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ok98161 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 am

I just played the tutorial system and it lagged my game until eventually the flash crashed. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just lag, so I posted it here where people seem to be discussing the tutorial.
:wizard: :wizard: :starwars:

RAINBOW POWER

Well, I had to fill the space with something!
"their uncultured swine"
-Gilly25
ok98161
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby ChiyokoTsukino » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:16 pm

I think the tutorial system is loooong over due. You have no idea how many times I was called an idiot just because I didn't know how to whisper, or write a will, or even know how a role works. But hopefully newcomers won't have to go through the same torment that I did.
ChiyokoTsukino

Postby orangeandblack5 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 pm

ChiyokoTsukino wrote:I think the tutorial system is loooong over due. You have no idea how many times I was called an idiot just because I didn't know how to whisper, or write a will, or even know how a role works. But hopefully newcomers won't have to go through the same torment that I did.

They had one before, but it wasn't very helpful so it was removed.

This new one is reportedly much better. I'll have to check it out.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby shapesifter13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:46 pm

It seems to be much better from everything we have seen and heard too. We are going to be watching our stats to see how much of an improvement it is, and we are always taking suggestions to improve it as well. :)
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:44 am

Josh did, and I pointed out this cannot be fixed without limiting people's creativity, and the negative results that will stem from that.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59497

Nor did anyone offer a valid solution that didn't result in putting caps on the list.

Custom rule lists (regardless the game mode) is supposed to be open-ended for anything. Why we're actually restricting things are beyond me.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tobyclone1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:02 pm

I've got a game suggestion for ranked

If you die before n3 as any role elo shouldnt drop

Jester dies N1 he instaloses

exe dies n2 he confirms a town and only wins if by pure luck the last town alive is his target and that target is lynched by the evils

arsonist dies n2 he loses before he can even kill more than one person

sk dies n2 same as arso but with 2 people

witch dies before n3 there is no way she could have meaniningly contributed to town's demise and no way town is all dead

vamps, if vamp dies n1 it might be over, as the initial target could be jailed, killed, or a maf/nk

ww if ww is exed n2 he didnt get to kill a single person

amne if amne dies n1 they didnt even have a chance to pick a role

surv, he insta loses if killed n1 by witch to vet or if killed by ww n2

for any maf role you havent had a chance to contribute to mafs chance at winning and an early death almost assuredly means maf loss as it could confirm a ti early game

for any town role if there is no ret or you arent a role powerful enough to be worth ressed you didnt get to do anything for the town.

all in all deaths at the beginning of the game should are not usually representative of the skill of the players and should not effect elo
i finally got to making this suggestion when i died as vig n1 alongside a jester who died n1
Tobyclone1

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Tobyclone1 wrote:I've got a game suggestion for ranked

If you die before n3 as any role elo shouldnt drop

Jester dies N1 he instaloses

exe dies n2 he confirms a town and only wins if by pure luck the last town alive is his target and that target is lynched by the evils

arsonist dies n2 he loses before he can even kill more than one person

sk dies n2 same as arso but with 2 people

witch dies before n3 there is no way she could have meaniningly contributed to town's demise and no way town is all dead

vamps, if vamp dies n1 it might be over, as the initial target could be jailed, killed, or a maf/nk

ww if ww is exed n2 he didnt get to kill a single person

amne if amne dies n1 they didnt even have a chance to pick a role

surv, he insta loses if killed n1 by witch to vet or if killed by ww n2

for any maf role you havent had a chance to contribute to mafs chance at winning and an early death almost assuredly means maf loss as it could confirm a ti early game

for any town role if there is no ret or you arent a role powerful enough to be worth ressed you didnt get to do anything for the town.

all in all deaths at the beginning of the game should are not usually representative of the skill of the players and should not effect elo
i finally got to making this suggestion when i died as vig n1 alongside a jester who died n1

I don't think I should begin to even explain why this is a definite 'No'...

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fullerman37 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm

I always thought it was a little bit of banter when you just hoped to land a good role, well, that fun is over now :(

I do agree with the fact that it needed to be fixed (just to clarify)
I'm 90% sure he's jest He's gf Well, why not just let jailor execute him I dunno, cuz I'm an idiot? Every classic game's dialouge ever
Fullerman37
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby ProwlBoy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm down for a new tutorial system. This will definitely get rid of of, "I don't know how this role works anyway". Especially when you play in the custom games. I do suggest on the home menu that there's a button letting players play the tutorial. Players who have forgotten how to play can play the tutorial when they access the home screen and regain the ability to play the game again.
ProwlBoy

Postby Sirenfal » Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 am

i prefer the idea of double merit points, i dont spend much in terms of town points, but merit points are different and i like customizing my character
I always have my avatar as a throwback to a classic many people miss, I don't know what you lot like so don't say you are disappointed.
Sirenfal
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby snapshot112 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm

ProwlBoy wrote:I'm down for a new tutorial system. This will definitely get rid of of, "I don't know how this role works anyway". Especially when you play in the custom games. I do suggest on the home menu that there's a button letting players play the tutorial. Players who have forgotten how to play can play the tutorial when they access the home screen and regain the ability to play the game again.

There already is a button for this, it's in your settings.
Ingame-Nickname: Shalltear
Games played: 956 (528/419/9)

#SaveTheDragons
A small click for you, but a HUGE click for these dragons.
Image Image Image Image Image

FM record (4/4)
Spoiler: Image
snapshot112
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements