Gathering Feedback on Art Style

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Gathering Feedback on Art Style

Postby Gwendolynx » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:44 am

Hey! The new style is fine, I would only recommend making the newer styled characters less ''wide'', they seem big and stretched out compared to the older skins, it does not look pretty together! And the archer kind of looks like it has Down's Syndrome.. o_O
Gwendolynx

Postby CaptainBritish » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:12 am

At the end of the day none of the skins in the new style are going to look right until you bite the bullet and re-design every skin that has been made up until this point or at the very least re-draw the faces. You can't just change art styles half-way through a game's development, it's lazy.
CaptainBritish
Jester
Jester

Postby WindowFolly » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:01 pm

I think being able to express a broad array of styles or characterizations is a good thing. Some may view it as dissonant but I find it interesting~ Keep doing what you're doing!
WindowFolly

Postby defensestar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:22 am

I liked the old eyes better
defensestar

Postby KingJohn20 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 am

Looks good! Would even say looks better than the current art style!
KingJohn20
Jester
Jester

Postby LysaMarie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:14 am

My feelings are the same as someone else who stated something similar about the new art style taking on the old art style and making it more realistic while still trying to maintain the cartoony outline and style. (A more noticeable example would be the eyes.) Maybe it's just the eyes and how wide the new art style looks compared to the old, but I think prefer the old art style, although the elf and Princess is still pretty cute to me in my opinion.

Here's my suggestion:
Make sure the eyes are not so... derp-ish. I just feel that the slanted cat-eyes that are being drawn for the female or male could result in a lot of people not liking them based on how well they're drawn and colored. The black oval irises that everyone' became accustomed too seemed so simple and less troublesome that as out-of-the-norm as these different eyes is like blinding neon colors to the eyes of those accustomed to warm, neutral colors. Bad analogy? Sorry. But what I'm saying is that a change like this will take some growing pains and getting used to for the players, including myself.

The eyes and face should look like they go together and not have one feature over-shadow the other. Like the eyes on the queen for example. Uck. Those eyes look a little too big for the face and a little too close together in my opinion. Maybe if they were small and a little further apart?

Other then that, I do appreciate the devs for wanting to try something new.

I would like for the new addition of character skins to be like actual robots or creatures themselves one day. If they stay human, that's fine with me also.
I also noticed and appreciate the additions of female skins. THANK YOU! <3 I look forward to whatever improvements are made n the future. :)
LysaMarie

Postby sugarsugarbanana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:22 am

imo, this looks cute...
it's just that the prince (and princess on homescreen) looks terrible
sugarsugarbanana

Postby Raykojr597 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:28 am

The mouth and the shoes are kinda weird looking but the rest is fine
Raykojr597
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby cinapta » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 pm

its so cute, i love it so much! if this skin ever becomes available i would buy it.
cinapta, pro tos player
cinapta
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Seleya » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:36 am

I really like this one!
Seleya
Survivor
Survivor

Postby squirrelschaser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:24 pm

I like it. I support a complete graphical rework of the game to make it more modern/vibrant/dynamic.
squirrelschaser
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby greendorito » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:23 pm

Its good, but it looks very uncanny when the old style is still used
greendorito

Postby Galaktik » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:31 pm

New art style on all the new characters is awful.. Hope this isn't seriously the new art style going forward. Old artist was too expensive or what? Why go completely counter to the art style you had for two years and mix these abominations in with them?
I go by Deodat Lawson and Samuel Parris in ranked. Say hey if you see me! :)
Galaktik
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ElvanLady » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:25 pm

The eyes creep me out.
ElvanLady
Executioner
Executioner

Postby NinjaJaso » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 am

Personally I prefer the old, simpler, not moving styles but I really don't care. The likeliness of me actually buying a new skin is extremely low because I love the jester and always will but people will complain either way. I feel like this shouldn't be a new style, just one of two so that everyone is happy.
NinjaJaso

Postby RagingRedShorts » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:35 pm

For me it's just the Queen and Prince skin's eyes that bother me. Since so many people are using the Queen skin that might be where a lot of complaints are from?
RagingRedShorts

Postby CaseyATX » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 am

George Michael once famously sang, "If you're going to do it, do it right!"

Make ALL the art have the SAME STYLE, or it just looks totally crappy.

I don't mind either the old or the new art styles, but for Pete's sake, make everything match!!
shapesifter13 wrote:Win rates from this season of ranked are getting very close to where we want them to be, even with the ever developing strategies that many of you are using. We feel that we have nailed down a solid role list with this season, and that small adjustments can be made with the current win rates to bring certain roles up or down just a bit to be exactly where we want them to be.
CaseyATX
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Videogamer921 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:01 am

I like it and all, but the the art would out of place with the other models. You might have to change it a bit to blend in with the others, or update all other characters to match the new style
Videogamer921

Postby SirLoLz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:57 am

Eyes look too human in the cartooned style. Looks uncanny. Mostly the prince, knight, and archer. But I feel the queen works. I would say try to keep the same inverted eye color.
to squishy, Short and rounded. Maybe go for more of a chibby look?

Oddly that only seems to be for the mid evil theme. I like the elf a lot actually. Especially the animation.

Other than that the only issue I have is that it will clash with the old style. In terms of look (shapes of characters), animation (old style would only blink mostly.) and color scheme. I do like the new look though. maybe update the old avatars to liven them up a little bit?

I'm also worried that the new art style will clash with the maps and houses of the old.

other than that though I like the new style.
SirLoLz
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby RickAstley954 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 pm

you know for me it's not the skins the skins are fine (though the prince and queen look strange) my problem is the stupid merit points that is the dumbest thing you devs have done. Because now the majority of your player base (who don't spend money on town points) are not gonna be able to get the good and new skins now as well and not only the skins but everything else from pets (which sucks because the new lion looks awesome) to the stinking death animations (which is what is mostly ticking me off) but yeah im saying asking please fix this
RickAstley954

Postby IbnBattuta » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:54 am

I think it's cool that I would all old Character Skins to be updated to new art style as well.
IbnBattuta

Postby LeMagicalGhost » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:36 am

It's okay but the eyes look so weird on the prince
What are you looking at?
LeMagicalGhost

Postby redsharpie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00 pm

i like it, the texture's a lot better, but I would really like to request adding lil noses to the characters?? I don't know, i just think they'd look really good with lil button noses LMAO
redsharpie

Postby Baker55513 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:13 pm

Excellent, though I'd like to see a Santa skin for Jailor too!!
Baker55513

Postby TotesAngel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:46 pm

It's good, but the eyes should match the older skins imo. Like, I hate the newer eyes >:[
Hello everybody. I am TotesAngel, but you may know me as Starfire from the Flipline Forum
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTpMsAZ1EYf3Fjbh2JltDjQ[/youtube] - SierraBerre SUSCRIBE
TotesAngel

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements