Patch 3.3.2 Ranked Season 5

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Patch 3.3.2 Ranked Season 5

Postby shapesifter13 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:41 pm

Hey Townies!

Today we are releasing Town of Salem 3.3.2. This release will include the start to Ranked Season 5! This release delivers on a frequently-requested feature: a Role Library showing every role in the game and its associated information. This release also includes a few QOL tweaks and a slew of bug fixes. The full list for this release is below.

Ranked Season 5!
We will also be starting Ranked Season 5 as soon as we are confident most of our players have upgraded to the latest version. We will be using the most recent experimental list we put up as it seemed to have the most positive feedback on the balance of it, and our numbers seem to agree with this. With the last season being so long, and so many changes being made recently we will be doing a hard reset for this season. Below is the list that will be used:

Jailor
Town Investigative
Town Investigative
Town Protective
Town Killing
Town Support
Random Town
Random Town
Random Town
Godfather
Mafioso
Random Mafia
Random Mafia
Witch
Exe

NEW FEATURES
• Role Library - The new Role Library provides a card-like view of all the roles in the game and their associated information. Coven roles will only be seen if you own the Coven Expansion. The Role Library is accessible through the Burger Menu’s Settings Help tab.

IMPROVEMENTS
• Tooltips/Hot Links - Tooltips and hot links have been updated for better placement, responsiveness, and formatting.
• Chat - Obvious URLs are now prevented from being sent or received in chat. Sending links is against the Rules, which are accessible on the Game Mode selection screen via the Rules button.
• Game - The active Game Mode is now shown in the Nameplate in-game.
• General - Enabled incremental garbage collection on supported platforms (Non-WebGL) which should result in reduced lag due to garbage collection.
• Game Engine - The Unity game engine has been upgraded to 2019.4.14f1. This brings a slew of underlying bug fixes and enhancements.

BUG FIXES
• Startup - Fixed an issue with our web version showing as a white screen when running on Big Sur OS.
• Keyboard - Fixed an issue with mobile screen keyboard sometimes not opening.
• Registration - Fixed the Email field validator improperly blocking some valid email addresses during registration.
• Registration - Reduced responsiveness of scroll wheel scrolling on Registration Notices large text fields.
• Home - Fixed an issue where logging on as restricted user, logging off, then logging in as non-restricted user caused incorrect display of Featured Items.
• Customization - Fixed some sizing oddness when first displaying character and pet on first open.
• Game - Fixed some positioning and scaling of the John Hathorne character skin.
• Game - Fixed some positioning of Blitzen pet during the last words and execution phases.
• Game - Fixed issue where pet animations were incorrectly displaying during Blast Off deaths.
• Game - Changed the Savant of Business achievement description to account for Coven Mafia roles now being available to play in Classic.
• Game - Reduced the amount of zoom while focusing in on executions.
• Burger Menu - Added a Confirm Email button under Help tab.
• Burger Menu - Added a Delete Account button under Help tab.
• User Disconnected - Fixed an issue during the Name Selection/Role Reveal phase that could result in a disconnection.
• User Disconnected - Fixed an issue when Forger was promoted to Mafioso that could result in a disconnection.
• Crash Fix - Fixed a mobile issue that could result in a crash.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Re: Patch 3.3.2 Ranked Season 5

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Will their be a change in covens ranked?
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby carrottttt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:51 pm

rip nk
carrottttt

Postby GreenStar02 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm

Was a hard reset really necessary? It's caused many of us to lose so much progress
GreenStar02
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:Will their be a change in covens ranked?

Let's play a game and find out
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby lemonader666 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:23 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:Jailor
Town Investigative
Town Investigative
Town Protective
Town Killing
Town Support
Random Town
Random Town
Random Town
Godfather
Mafioso
Random Mafia
Random Mafia
Witch
Exe

Nice!!!

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 pm

GreenStar02 wrote:Was a hard reset really necessary? It's caused many of us to lose so much progress

That's the point of season bruh
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 pm

*proceeds to lose every placement game and be at an even worse rating than before*
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby GreenStar02 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
GreenStar02 wrote:Was a hard reset really necessary? It's caused many of us to lose so much progress

That's the point of season bruh

I would have preferred a soft reset, even if everyone lost like 500 elo from it. Being put back to 1200 just makes me not want to play if all my progress goes just like that
GreenStar02
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby spiraboo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Abnormal disconnection twice in a row during my rank placement games just now (both games I was about to win as well...)

the 2 games before that I was mafioso with stupid teammates who visit vet baits N1.

I'm going to ELO hell aren't I... :( :( :( :(
spiraboo
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:24 pm

I fear that this rolelist will be too townsided, but only time will tell for that.

Thinking of it as "progress" is kind of the problem. There were many people in the previous season who got to high ELO simply by grinding, without actual skill. With this reset, high ELO will once again be exclusive to skilled players, at least for a while.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby TayuyaNala » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Okay so I have a question. Are you actually making fun of us??? 3rd list received the best feedback?? I think not. 2nd list was the best out of 3 also butchering nk is just brutal. Jailor is op already but now thing is just unstoppable. I actually want to know where the hell is this data comming from that 3rd list is the best out of all. BMG is killing their own damn game, like excuse me what? I play this game every single day and all i see around is just players that are either new new or throwing. Like throwing everything. What kind of high yall are on to think that butchering nk was best idea, and now also removing the ne too. Im sorry but I think that this is just going to make this game die faster than it already is dying
TayuyaNala

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 pm

TayuyaNala wrote:Okay so I have a question. Are you actually making fun of us??? 3rd list received the best feedback?? I think not. 2nd list was the best out of 3 also butchering nk is just brutal. Jailor is op already but now thing is just unstoppable. I actually want to know where the hell is this data comming from that 3rd list is the best out of all. BMG is killing their own damn game, like excuse me what? I play this game every single day and all i see around is just players that are either new new or throwing. Like throwing everything. What kind of high yall are on to think that butchering nk was best idea, and now also removing the ne too. Im sorry but I think that this is just going to make this game die faster than it already is dying

I don't see why NK is a must-have for Ranked. The games that I've played without NKs have felt much better-balanced than the games with NKs.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby lemonader666 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 pm

TayuyaNala wrote:Okay so I have a question. Are you actually making fun of us??? 3rd list received the best feedback?? I think not. 2nd list was the best out of 3 also butchering nk is just brutal. Jailor is op already but now thing is just unstoppable. I actually want to know where the hell is this data comming from that 3rd list is the best out of all. BMG is killing their own damn game, like excuse me what? I play this game every single day and all i see around is just players that are either new new or throwing. Like throwing everything. What kind of high yall are on to think that butchering nk was best idea, and now also removing the ne too. Im sorry but I think that this is just going to make this game die faster than it already is dying

This isn't removing NE, this is making NE more consistent. How high must you have your head up your ass that you can't realize the major differences between Witch and Exe/Jester?

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Brilliand » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 am

I wish the NE was entirely removed from Ranked. Differentiating Witch from Exe certainly helped, but really Exe/Jester don't belong in Ranked at all (because they don't have to care which side wins), and even Witch has the problem that its win condition isn't exactly "wins when Mafia wins".

I'm among those who think the 2nd list was the best of the three. The "large Mafia group" dynamics were actually interesting; NEs don't have that, not even if they're Witches. So... I'm curious where the "most positive feedback" bit came from, though I suspect I know: the devs were watching the average mood of comments, not their content, and the switch from 2nd list to 3rd list came at a time when the "how dare you remove the NK" posts mostly petered out and constructive criticism started to dominate the discussion.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:15 am

Brilliand wrote:I wish the NE was entirely removed from Ranked. Differentiating Witch from Exe certainly helped, but really Exe/Jester don't belong in Ranked at all (because they don't have to care which side wins), and even Witch has the problem that its win condition isn't exactly "wins when Mafia wins".

I'm among those who think the 2nd list was the best of the three. The "large Mafia group" dynamics were actually interesting; NEs don't have that, not even if they're Witches. So... I'm curious where the "most positive feedback" bit came from, though I suspect I know: the devs were watching the average mood of comments, not their content, and the switch from 2nd list to 3rd list came at a time when the "how dare you remove the NK" posts mostly petered out and constructive criticism started to dominate the discussion.

Depends being stuck in a dumb town with 5 mafia isn't fun lmao
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:02 am

Soulshade55r wrote:
Brilliand wrote:I wish the NE was entirely removed from Ranked. Differentiating Witch from Exe certainly helped, but really Exe/Jester don't belong in Ranked at all (because they don't have to care which side wins), and even Witch has the problem that its win condition isn't exactly "wins when Mafia wins".

While this is true, you can't really balance the game around one team being dumb.

As for my thoughts on the role list, I'm going to tentatively echo the sentiment that the second list was the best one, with the caveat that all of them had their problems. I feel like they rushed into Season 5 too fast without really taking into account all of the things that the game needed (role list and otherwise) to be more balanced and fun.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 am

MysticMismagius wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

While this is true, you can't really balance the game around one team being dumb.

As for my thoughts on the role list, I'm going to tentatively echo the sentiment that the second list was the best one, with the caveat that all of them had their problems. I feel like they rushed into Season 5 too fast without really taking into account all of the things that the game needed (role list and otherwise) to be more balanced and fun.

I think they can buff mafia without having 5 memebers anyway I definitely prefer it on a professional level but it did require town to not mess up especially early.

Ways to buff mafia and make it so Mafioso generally isn't a forced role on the role list would be nice.

I really liked the team diversity 5 mafia allowed
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Brilliand » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am

MysticMismagius wrote:I feel like they rushed into Season 5 too fast without really taking into account all of the things that the game needed (role list and otherwise) to be more balanced and fun.

This. I think there wasn't a consensus on which list was best, and there were other possibly-best lists waiting in line to be tested. The best thing to do would have been to keep testing different lists for another month to give the community time to congeal around a particular list.

And yeah, a few more role tweaks before starting the next season would have been helpful as well.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby superdog551 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:37 pm

In the last ten ranked games I played mafia won one and town won nine times in a row. Maybe it's just bad luck but to me this list is another where mafia struggle. I really liked the second list, 5 mafia was super fun and made for some interesting set ups though I also realize that town had a bit of a disadvantage. I think that a few more tests could've been done, preferably with 5 mafia as the focus.
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:13 pm

NK disrupted Jailor meta to an extent, but I don't think NKs are the answer to Jailor meta. Mafia should just get a rework or a new role that would be confirmed in the list that screws over the Jailor meta, such as one unstoppable astral attack from the Mafioso.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:16 pm

superdog551 wrote:In the last ten ranked games I played mafia won one and town won nine times in a row. Maybe it's just bad luck but to me this list is another where mafia struggle. I really liked the second list, 5 mafia was super fun and made for some interesting set ups though I also realize that town had a bit of a disadvantage. I think that a few more tests could've been done, preferably with 5 mafia as the focus.

Yeah imo, this list is too Town sided. If a Mafia member leaves night 1 Mafia is completely screwed over too. NK needs to be brought back to balance out the Town issues, instead of Executioner, and Mayor should replace Town Support so it isn't as as swingy. Mafioso should be replaced with Mafia Killing to give Ambusher a stronger chance of being rolled, and Ambusher should be buffed to be able to target Mafia members to counter escorts.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Brilliand » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:03 pm

DiamondRanger8 wrote:Yeah imo, this list is too Town sided. If a Mafia member leaves night 1 Mafia is completely screwed over too. NK needs to be brought back to balance out the Town issues, instead of Executioner

^ This is my worst fear, that BMG will settle on a list that's too town-sided and then decide that they need to bring back the NK to "balance out" the Town being overpowered.

Putting in a big fat kingmaker does hide the problem of one side having too big an advantage, but it isn't a real solution. Putting RM in that slot (instead of Exe or NK) actually addresses the problem, by giving the weaker side more power.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby MafiaxSK » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:31 pm

I’m honestly questioning if people who are saying this list is too Town-sided are playing the same game as me. It’s not prohibitively difficult for mafia to win with this list. I played three games in a row where maf had a clean sweep - and one of them I was maf, one of them I was town, and another I got lynched D2 and had no real effect on the game, so it’s not just me being exceptionally good or bad. In both RP and off-season ranked, there were a decent amount of maf wins. This list is fine imo and BMG’s statistics support that
MafiaxSK
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Paradox12 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 pm

DiamondRanger8 wrote:

NK disrupted Jailor meta to an extent, but I don't think NKs are the answer to Jailor meta. Mafia should just get a rework or a new role that would be confirmed in the list that screws over the Jailor meta, such as one unstoppable astral attack from the Mafioso.

I hope I don't need to explain why that is a terrible idea. If that was implemented, I would just claim sheriff every time I get an important role until the mafioso is dead.
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Next

Return to Announcements