Re: New Monthly Update! 6/6/19

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Postby shapesifter13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Hey Townies!

I am back again for another monthly update post.

We are really close to having a beta for the Steam Unity version out. We only have 2 more systems to integrate with Steam, and that is the Shop and Achievements.

I don't have a set beta date as of yet, but as soon as I do I will be sure to make a post about that.

Happy Hanging Everyone!
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby Villagerlover » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:11 am

Oh good!
I've been looking forward to the Unity engine.

Will I need any new special installations/clients for Unity in order to play it? I've always just used the browser.
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Forger
Forger

Re: Re: New Monthly Update! 6/6/19

Postby Flavorable » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:39 am

The Beta is opt-in only for Steam, afaik.
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Villagerlover » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:11 am

Flavorable wrote:The Beta is opt-in only for Steam, afaik.

Ah, so I would have to buy the Steam version to even play the beta?
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Forger
Forger

Postby woahah » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 am

Villagerlover wrote:
Flavorable wrote:The Beta is opt-in only for Steam, afaik.

Ah, so I would have to buy the Steam version to even play the beta?

when it comes out, yes. The devs confirmed it a bit back but idk if it will come to web client or it will just go straight to Unity 1.0.
woahah
Spy
Spy

Postby Jerme » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:26 pm

After the beta is completed and the found bugs fixed, the client will be rolled out to web as well.
Just keep in mind that there is no set date when the final release will be once the beta started.
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

I tend to write small stories into my will and dislike Forgers and Janitors for removing them.

If you see a Grim Reaper called 'Zoroark', know that you might have encountered me.

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JustSomeOtherGuy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:39 am

Why if the game is now Pay 2 Play, is the Coven not Free 2 Play? - It doesn't make sense, and definitely strikes me as anti-consumer decision-making again. Not to mention, the Coven was *explicitly* said to be a free update, before you changed your mind. You still have the ability to go back on that, especially now the price wall is already there.

Just implement it into the main game, so we can get the new Neutral/Town/Mafia roles in normal games, and have 4 playlists:

Mafia - Classic, RP, Ranked (includes Coven roles, just not the Coven.)
Coven - Classic, RP, Ranked
Custom - Custom, Rapid
Chaos - Rotate the Chaos modes.

EDIT: Should I also add, I bought the Coven basically right away. I don't think we deserve anything extra for doing that.
I think this should happen because the Coven paywall was only defended for ONE reason: It kept out trolls. Now the game already does this.
Also, Coven games are *completely* dead. It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find them, and even then it's only EVER possible in Classic.

And to the trolls who will inevitably reply, Coven tickets isn't even CLOSE to making it f2p. It's a band-aid on a decapitation.
Last edited by JustSomeOtherGuy on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent - Role Idea - Neutral Chaos role, undecided on goal.
May work better as a NC Double Agent that also has abilities against Town but must double-cross both the evils AND town, but the goal may be too hard.

Town of Salem - The Underworld [DLC/Faction Idea]

I usually play as anything, now.
JustSomeOtherGuy
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Jerme » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am

Where was it said that Coven was a free update, if I may know?
Also regarding the p2p-change: There is an announcement in regards of that - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92848
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

I tend to write small stories into my will and dislike Forgers and Janitors for removing them.

If you see a Grim Reaper called 'Zoroark', know that you might have encountered me.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JustSomeOtherGuy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:48 am

Jerme wrote:Where was it said that Coven was a free update, if I may know?
Also regarding the p2p-change: There is an announcement in regards of that - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92848

Which avoids explicitly mentioning the problem.

It was said in the initial announcement, that the Witch faction would be expanded in a free update with new roles. - Before it was named the Coven. I'll look for it.
May work better as a NC Double Agent that also has abilities against Town but must double-cross both the evils AND town, but the goal may be too hard.

JustSomeOtherGuy
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby JustSomeOtherGuy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:03 pm

Jerme wrote:Where was it said that Coven was a free update, if I may know?

Here is what it said, originally:

Coming Soon in patches 1.6+
More role balancing and changes - Kind of happened.
New roles - Didn't happen.
New game modes - Didn't happen.
Account leveling system - Didn't happen.
Matchmaking for all queues - Didn't happen.
Equippable micro cosmetics, such as swords, clothes, fancy witch hats, etc - Didn't happen.
A complete UI rework - Didn't happen.
Expanding the Witch faction - Became a paid DLC.
Gifting system - Didn't happen.
New death note and last will skins - Didn't happen.
Ranked seasons and rewards - Happened, but "rewards"
New player tutorial - ?
New characters, pets, death animations, maps, houses, interactive/animated cosmetics - Didn't happen. No interactive/animated ones to my knowledge, and only 1 death animation that I'm not even sure is new.
Private lobbies - Didn't happen.
Emotes - Didn't happen.

BMG has also seemingly since deleted this post. Is that the actions of someone with nothing to hide to you?

JustSomeOtherGuy
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Jerme » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Expanding the Witch faction doesn't mean that it will be for free.
The UI Rework is currnetly happening with the unity client, same with a new visual for Deathnote and Last Will.
New roles are happening once the unity port is done
What about Draculas Palace and the Modes for Coven? Those certainly look like new game modes for me.
The player Tutorial is there and gives you some tips.
The taunts are the emotes.
Private lobbies are planned, but currently not prioritized.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JustSomeOtherGuy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Jerme wrote:Expanding the Witch faction doesn't mean that it will be for free. Fair, but you'd definitely specify if it wasn't, and I recall there being other posts.
The UI Rework is currnetly happening with the unity client, same with a new visual for Deathnote and Last Will. Sure, on the slowest timeframe I've ever seen.
New roles are happening once the unity port is done (x) Doubt, and they'll absolutely be paid, right? I mean it took a year or two for the game to get it's first "new role" in the Vampire, and that was a Kickstarter stretch goal.
What about Draculas Palace and the Modes for Coven? Those certainly look like new game modes for me. Ooh, a worthless Chaos mode nobody plays, for a role that's almost universally disliked? Colour me impressed.
The player Tutorial is there and gives you some tips. I'm aware of the tutorial, not aware if it was ever improved.
The taunts are the emotes. Pretty sure this is not the case, they should have already been implemented by this point, and were a seperate thing.
Private lobbies are planned, but currently not prioritized. So why mention it this early?

EDIT: In addition, this avoids the whole "Coven should NOW be free" problem. Because it should. ESPECIALLY the Town/Mafia/Neutral roles if nothing else. I've never seen a Mafia game in Coven mode, even when it was brand new and at it's peak. They just go to waste, and they're very important/unique roles players have been requesting for years, just to be told "Buy a DLC you aren't interested in for this Town role everybody wanted." - Leaves a sour taste. And again, why would the post be deleted if it was correct? Not to mention the micro-cosmetics and such.

JustSomeOtherGuy
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby noveiia » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:39 pm

The mafia roles are used in almost every game in Coven all/any m’dude.
RPG Alignment:
Spoiler: Image
FM Stats:
Spoiler: 100% - N/A
noveiia
Witch
Witch

Postby Jerme » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:01 pm

@JustSomeOtherGuy: The Coven is a DLC and stays like that. When it got introduced to the game it already required a premium account (steamlink or webpremium) to be able to be bought, thus nothing needs to be changed with the introduction of p2p. Or do you want the cost for a premium upgrade risen so, since it should automatically contain the DLC?
You could also tell me, why you think Coven should now be free, which would change the way it can be bought?
Regarding the UI rework: When the changes were announced, nobody knew that Flash is getting discontinued and not supported, thus this was a spontanous decision to keep the game alive and running without trouble. Creating a new client can take a while. Also the new visuals are already released, you can see them by using the currentl ToS Mobile client.
You may doubt my words as much as you like, I could have also told you that the promised new roles were the additional ones in the Coven expansion, do you like that reply more? Its true that the process is a bit slow, but they are working on it as good as they can, I believe.
I've seen Dracula's palace being played and just becuase you (and a couple of other people on the forums) don't like Vampires, it does not mean nobody likes the role. I heardd that many people wanted a Vampire mode, which is now what they got.
There was previously an other tutorial implemented, where one plays as SK. Since this match was quite scripted it was not quite useful.
Believe me or not, but the taunts are the announced emotes, shapesifter has already confirmed it. Doubt the truth as much as you like, but it doesn't help you at all.
The thing about private lobbies - That is quite easy to tell: The recoding of the client (which I mentioned earlier in this post) was not planned at the time the announcement was made nad thsu delayed the planned changes.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JustSomeOtherGuy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 am

Jerme wrote:@JustSomeOtherGuy: The Coven is a DLC and stays like that. When it got introduced to the game it already required a premium account (steamlink or webpremium) to be able to be bought, thus nothing needs to be changed with the introduction of p2p. - Split this one up as it's really two responses - I was completely unaware this was the case, happy to concede here, I owned Steam well before Coven came out so would never have known.

Or do you want the cost for a premium upgrade risen so, since it should automatically contain the DLC? - This is a great idea, actually. I'm absolutely on-board with Premium going to $10 if it means Coven is included, because right now it suffers from a case of "the deads" - Even saying it has a FRACTION of the Classic players is a major stretch, and it's really quite sad as it's a fun DLC. - On top of this, Mafia/Neutral/Town roles go to waste on it, and should be in the Classic game.

On a related note however, I think Premium accounts should be able to earn Town Points once more. I totally disagree with the Merit Points change, and the 2x MP is not cutting it.

TL;DR: Yes, raise the price of Web Premium, include Coven to the game (so Town/Neutral/Mafia roles are in normal games too, NOT a seperate "game" as current), give back earnable TP

You could also tell me, why you think Coven should now be free, which would change the way it can be bought? - I'm slightly confused by what you were trying to say here. I think Coven should be free because of what it adds to the NON-COVEN games, the town, neutrals and mafia. They're roles people have requested for the longest time.

Regarding the UI rework: When the changes were announced, nobody knew that Flash is getting discontinued and not supported, thus this was a spontanous decision to keep the game alive and running without trouble. Creating a new client can take a while. Also the new visuals are already released, you can see them by using the currentl ToS Mobile client. - Yes, I'm glad they're doing it. The flash client has a habit of running like absolute garbage (a fault of flash, not of the game), especially with many cosmetics. A new client is well overdue, in the nicest way I mean this, not "Should have been done years ago!", that's unfeasible.

You may doubt my words as much as you like, I could have also told you that the promised new roles were the additional ones in the Coven expansion, do you like that reply more? Its true that the process is a bit slow, but they are working on it as good as they can, I believe. - I'm not doubting your words, I just think it's not this clear-cut. In addition, I don't really think "a bit slow" covers it, when ToS was more-or-less intended to replace SC2 Mafia, and yet is missing an ENTIRE faction and more.

I've seen Dracula's palace being played and just becuase you (and a couple of other people on the forums) don't like Vampires, it does not mean nobody likes the role. I heardd that many people wanted a Vampire mode, which is now what they got. - I was one of the people that wanted it, and I personally DO like vampires. However, I don't think a limited time chaos mode is the way to go about it, the role almost seems a waste.

There was previously an other tutorial implemented, where one plays as SK. Since this match was quite scripted it was not quite useful. - - I knew of this tutorial, I am just unaware if it changed.

Believe me or not, but the taunts are the announced emotes, shapesifter has already confirmed it. Doubt the truth as much as you like, but it doesn't help you at all. - They said before this wasn't the case. If they got scrapped, frankly good riddance, emotes aren't needed, and even Taunts are iffy because of the possibility of cheating and post-death communication.

The thing about private lobbies - That is quite easy to tell: The recoding of the client (which I mentioned earlier in this post) was not planned at the time the announcement was made nad thsu delayed the planned changes. - They were delayed in favour of the Unity client? I can get behind that, cool.

For what it's worth, the font colours I'm choosing are meaningless, just to make it easier to read. - I don't disagree with you fully, I just think some things can be done far better than they are currently.

JustSomeOtherGuy
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby JustSomeOtherGuy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:43 am

noveiia wrote:The mafia roles are used in almost every game in Coven all/any m’dude.

Do All/Any games happen fairly often? I've been finding it nigh impossible to get a Classic match, should I be looking there instead?

Genuine question, I should add - I enjoy the Coven and it's roles but finding a game is like looking for gold in the Sahara

JustSomeOtherGuy
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Helicooler » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 am

JustSomeOtherGuy wrote:
noveiia wrote:The mafia roles are used in almost every game in Coven all/any m’dude.

Do All/Any games happen fairly often? I've been finding it nigh impossible to get a Classic match, should I be looking there instead?

Genuine question, I should add - I enjoy the Coven and it's roles but finding a game is like looking for gold in the Sahara

all any is the only one which really survives in coven, other than things like VIP and Lovers which go somewhat well
# 

Last edited by Helicooler on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helicooler
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby noveiia » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Yeah as he said, all/any, VIP, and Lovers you get games just as quickly as in the classic Chaos modes.
RPG Alignment:
Spoiler: Image
FM Stats:
Spoiler: 100% - N/A
noveiia
Witch
Witch

Postby orangeandblack5 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Any news on update posts for August, September, or October?
SwampRabbit wrote:So basically, your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

No offense but that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

Spoiler: Help support my Investigator Results List Overhaul and Town of Salem 1.5 suggestions!
Image a a a a a
ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Google » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:12 pm

orangeandblack5 wrote:Any news on update posts for August, September, or October?

Yeah, steam beta is out
Didnt know you were in the mafiacolluseum discord btw
Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart Wii "Professional" mainly known for being shit at mafia.

Spoiler:
Google
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner

Postby orangeandblack5 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Google wrote:
orangeandblack5 wrote:Any news on update posts for August, September, or October?

Yeah, steam beta is out
Didnt know you were in the mafiacolluseum discord btw

I'm everywhere ;)
SwampRabbit wrote:So basically, your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

No offense but that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

Spoiler: Help support my Investigator Results List Overhaul and Town of Salem 1.5 suggestions!
Image a a a a a
ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Naru2008 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Dunno why this is still open 4 months later.

Locking.
I cannot reset your password, change your email, etc. Please email the Developers via info@blankmediagames.com and wait for them to respond.

Frequently Asked Questions | Give Feedback | Report a Bug | Appeal your Ban
Naru2008
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Announcements