Toughts on censorship.

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Toughts on censorship.

Postby Kombinator1991 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:26 am

I see more, and more often that stuff being censored. Names are being denied, posts gets removed, people gets banned in middle of conversation, or kicked in middle of game. I mean why do we actually need such mechanics when usually there is that nice ignore/block button. And beside why "adult" people gets offended by words? Back in my day going to cry to teacher over bad words was considered pathetic, and weak. These days you are the hero for it. It's not like i can punch anyone through the internet. Even though sometimes i'd love to do that.

Certain censorship is needed of course. But not about "being toxic", or "being negative", or even "arguing about rules, or with moderators". But for copyrighted content, truly harmful (sites with virus), and age dependent content. I know, that people don't really care about the "must be adult" sign, but let's pretend we do.

What about the majority? Is hard censorship truly needed? Or it's enough to censor stuff, that are actually relevant to laws, computers, and rights?
Kombinator1991
Transporter
Transporter

Re: Toughts on censorship.

Postby abizoey » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 pm

The devs now refuse to participate in the official ToS subreddit because of the response to this post, and the fact that they didn't get what they wanted here after so...

Yeah you're absolutely right on this. Censoring people who are spewing hate speech and racism is one thing, censoring people who dare to criticise the developers of the game is totally different. Plus now they're permabanning people for "inappropriate sexual chat" which I wouldn't have even suspended for when I was a judge.
abizoey
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:47 pm

abizoey wrote:The devs now refuse to participate in the official ToS subreddit because of the response to this post, and the fact that they didn't get what they wanted here after so...

Yeah you're absolutely right on this. Censoring people who are spewing hate speech and racism is one thing, censoring people who dare to criticise the developers of the game is totally different. Plus now they're permabanning people for "inappropriate sexual chat" which I wouldn't have even suspended for when I was a judge.

wow only 24 hours and this already aged poorly
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby oddluck » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 am

Why on Earth did they move Buff the Ret to role ideas?
oddluck
Witch
Witch

Postby Kombinator1991 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 am

abizoey wrote:The devs now refuse to participate in the official ToS subreddit because of the response to this post, and the fact that they didn't get what they wanted here after so...

Well the forum has no "i'm adult" checker. Which means that uneraged people can come "legally". So sexual content might be justified to be censored, because technically allowing it is breaking the law. If i for example put a nice big nude picture here, and some lawyer sees it, then he can sue the moderators for allowing it without adult warning.

Now hate speech, and racism is something i don't think, that should be censored by moderators. If you do it, and people dislike it, then they just block you, and that's all. Also hate speech is kinda subjective. Yeah there are obvious cases, but sometimes that sticker is put on simple facts with 0 bad language. A ban, and post removal, or hiding is reasonable, but only, if many people reports it. Retards get that pretty fast anyway.

The banning for critising developers is the peak of the censorhip. Technically false advertisement. If people go on the forum, then they see, that the game is superior, and everything is sunhine and rainbows. Simply because those who wrote the negative stuff got banned, and their posts removed.
Kombinator1991
Transporter
Transporter

Return to Off-Topic Discussions