Why does the VH still see the Vampire chat?

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Why does the VH still see the Vampire chat?

Postby Kikigiri » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:50 am

With the Spy no longer seeing Mafia chat, having the VH seeing Vampire chat is extremely unintuitive - it's not something people would logically expect from his role, leading to a lot of frustration for (and from) new players who out stuff.

All the arguments for the Spy not seeing Mafia chat apply to this situation as well; the VH already has powerful abilities for dealing with vampires, while the restriction severely limits that chat's value. Vampires have even more need to communicate than Mafia in some ways (because new Vampires may not be aware of what the older ones have discovered, or may have stuff to share that they learned when alive), yet the VH hearing the chat makes all that less useful.

And the VH hearing Vampire chat is much more devastating than the Spy hearing Mafia chat ever was. The VH can kill you directly (even that very night) if someone slips up. There's very little value to "tricking" him (at most you might make him waste a night; you can't cause a mislynch or anything.) Unlike with the old Spy mechanics, even your targets have to be kept secret from the VH, meaning there's almost nothing you can safely discuss.
Please put the Witch in Coven mode. I miss it. :-(
Kikigiri
Jailor
Jailor

Re: Why does the VH still see the Vampire chat?

Postby fwogcarf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:37 am

VH seeing Vampire chat is one of the mechanics I don't want to see go away. Vampires haven't had a need to chat since they can literally say "no not that one" or "do that one yes".

I understand your point though, and if you can convince me more on this, I'll believe you
Spoiler: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M79vYZu-WIKrW0WQ0pCISBq66DeBfSir5T7RCuy0OWY/edit?usp=sharing
We are creators of our own future

We are supporters of forces against despair

We defend against the evils of the world

We are guardians, we are strong
fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby DragonClaw66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:44 am

It is necessary for the Vampires to be the only ones who can read the Vampire chat. The chat is used to plan which roles they are going to be claiming and discuss which target they need to convert. The Vampire Hunter almost only uses the chat for confirmation of other Vampire Hunter claims anyway ("What did the Vampires say last night?"). The attribute isn't necessary.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby oddluck » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:59 am

The mechanic is fun, Vampires can taunt the hell of the VH. If the VH figures them out from things they say then that's their good work
oddluck
Witch
Witch

Postby MoustachioMario » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am

oddluck wrote:The mechanic is fun, Vampires can taunt the hell of the VH. If the VH figures them out from things they say then that's their good work

That is what I try to do lol
Games Won
Spoiler:
SFM63
The Godfather
[Survived]

Games Lost
Spoiler:
NFMNFM3
The Consigliere
[Lynched Day Four]
MoustachioMario
Doctor
Doctor

Postby thEXP » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:09 pm

I can see where you're coming from, and I'm inclined to agree. The whole reason Spy can no longer see the chat is it prevents roles from saying "I'm going to say this happened to me." It also makes the consig have to make the call on if their invest is worth killing or not. As someone else stated, the VH can instantly punish you for a slip up.
I am the orbs that fill your soul.
I am the power you now hold.
Beware others, who want that power.
Slay them first, it's now or never.
thEXP

Return to Role Ideas