Patch 2.1.0 Ranked Season One Begins!

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Patch 2.1.0 Ranked Season One Begins!

Postby mdb1023 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Go to any thread with people complaining about it and you'll find a lot of people who support it and are defending it. Also, NK isn't meant to have a high winrate, anyways.
Discord: Finn#5059

http://www.twitch.tv/mikeakafinn?sr=a

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:29 am

It isn't meant to yeah but if you get Nk you might has well not try. Your one of the few who like the change.
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby mdb1023 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:It isn't meant to yeah but if you get Nk you might has well not try. You're one of the majority who like the change.

Ftfy

I will give you that NK is too hard to win with right now. I don't think the rolelist is perfect by any means but it's CERTAINLY better than what it used to be.

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't think it's better then the old one. But it's a lot better then 4 random towns what they where going to do
the main problem is that salem has 15 not 16 roles in a match (Most of the time) I feel like they could do a lot more balancing if matches had one player extra.
I can see how Neutral benign is a issue but that also applies to neutral evil

If you have a witch town is in a massive disadvantage because witch is a Nk/mafia helper only (What neutral evil should be)
With exe it's kinda bad for town but there target can die and turn into a jester also exe can just side with town anyway. (Exe could be changed into benign if they could target anyone)
Jester should be neutral benign because it wins with being lynch'd. (Maybe it can kill which Benigns don't but it's one person)

Neutral evil does need some work. apart from witch they are basically benign.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Yeah, it would be better if NE were replaced with witch in the ranked rolelist.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 pm

They would need to rework it's investigation results if that happend they should make more roles like witch
also you can't but witch in if it's coven ranked.

also why is the box bigger with adding in ranked can't they just put mafia returns into chaos? (It's kinda chaos because the list isn't very balanced)
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby lavaheart23 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Neutral evil does need some work. apart from witch they are basically benign.[/quote]

Not really. The main purpose of NE is to spread confusion throughout the town, and take advantage of it. The main purpose of NB is just to "pick a side." Even though jesters and exes aren't explicitly on the side of mafia or NK, one more source of confusion can be a big help to those roles.
lavaheart23
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:21 pm

lavaheart23 wrote:Neutral evil does need some work. apart from witch they are basically benign.

Not really. The main purpose of NE is to spread confusion throughout the town, and take advantage of it. The main purpose of NB is just to "pick a side." Even though jesters and exes aren't explicitly on the side of mafia or NK, one more source of confusion can be a big help to those roles.

I think the purpose of NE is harming the town, while NB's purpose is harming whoever they want. That's why jesters and exes are not that helpful. Jesters can haunt scum and give town 2 scum for the prize of one, and exes can side with town after they win, while witches can't win if town doesn't lose.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Soulshade55r » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

Amnesaic remembers a scum./town the opposing faction has to deal with another person (worse for town because there are usually less scum)
Survivor can side with anyone if it lives so it doesn't care
Jester just wants to be lynch can kill a scum or a good harming one side
Exe (once target is lynch'd) can side with who ever like survivor (but if it dies it still wins) also it can turn into a jester.

witch Town must lose for it to win (Can act like a 5th mafia or a Nk helper)

Witch one of these are not like the others.

While benign is less "evil" it can mess one side up
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby mdb1023 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

Yeah neutral evil needs some improvement. I think they should add one of the Ne roles from FM:
Warlock-hex a player. If that player dies they are unable to be killed for the next day/night phase.
Kleptomaniac: can steel abilities from dead players and use them as their own.

Both roles would have the witch's wincon. This would make NE less townsided, especially in coven where witch can't roll. I'm working on a TOS revamp post and I'll go into more details on why this is helpful in that post.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby BlazinIce » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:34 am

mdb1023 wrote:Yeah neutral evil needs some improvement. I think they should add one of the Ne roles from FM:
Warlock-hex a player. If that player dies they are unable to be killed for the next day/night phase.
Kleptomaniac: can steel abilities from dead players and use them as their own.

Both roles would have the witch's wincon. This would make NE less townsided, especially in coven where witch can't roll. I'm working on a TOS revamp post and I'll go into more details on why this is helpful in that post.

Warlock is too similar to Survivor and doesn't help evils, and Kleptomaniac is basically Necromancer.
How to get unlimited Town Points in Town of Salem
I'm a forum regular. You may see me in Role Ideas (critiquing bad roles), Testing Grounds, Feedback, Suggestions, or Forum Games. I'm also in ToS as Noone.

Mortician -A Neutral Evil Janitor that buries lynches. Has over 100 supporters!
Gossiper -A Neutral Evil role that gives a player valuable information about another player each night.
BlazinIce
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Except kleptomaniac actually can use dead players abilities whereas necro can really only utilize dead killing roles. Warlock as a concept I think would work well but would need to be reworked for TOS a bit.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:24 pm

mdb1023 wrote:Except kleptomaniac actually can use dead players abilities whereas necro can really only utilize dead killing roles. Warlock as a concept I think would work well but would need to be reworked for TOS a bit.

Kleptomaniac should only be able to use each player once. A NE shouldn't be able to kill each night.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Soulshade55r » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm

They need to buff necromancer honestly
it's one of the worse coven
Why can't it use a investigator and get results? and much more needs to be changed
Examples
Jailor - could be used like a "powerful" bullet or even denfense
Investigator - could be used (results would be better if it showed up like consigs)
Transporter - Trans yourself with the target

And so much more even if the ability is next to useless for necromancer (lets say using a spys bug) it's still better then nothing

Ad you may say this is overpowered but the rest of the coven are really strong and necromancer just kinda sucks they get 2 uses if lucky.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Miguelispro » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Ranked is with a lot of Trash players. Mainly vigs that random shoot.

Then they report you when you say that they are trash players and l2p...
Miguelispro
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Shilster » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Miguelispro wrote:Ranked is with a lot of Trash players. Mainly vigs that random shoot.

I saw a Vig random shoot an Invest claim n2, he was Invest. 5 Townies were dead by n3. In ranked.
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby WittyRecluse » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:17 am

Miguelispro wrote:Ranked is with a lot of Trash players. Mainly vigs that random shoot.

This is coming from the guy who was 0 elo last season... good source of accurate info.
WittyRecluse
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Taeila » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 am

I personally think that this ranking system isn't fun for experienced players... it should weight in how many games you played in TOTAL and not just the 10 practice etc... a lot of people cheat. And sadly I spent the entire night trying to figure out who was cheating in the classic ranked games... It is not cool if you paid for the game...

So perhaps having two pool of people... PAID accounts VS free... Will remove frustrations from those who actually care about the game and not the free loaders... BTW, please make a hoodie!!! <3 - I am an artist so if you need help to make some cool apparel that could help raise more money and the such.

Keep being awesome everyone... I don't usually post here but this is I think a common frustration with experienced players.
Taeila

Postby lavaheart23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Taeila wrote:I personally think that this ranking system isn't fun for experienced players... it should weight in how many games you played in TOTAL and not just the 10 practice etc... a lot of people cheat. And sadly I spent the entire night trying to figure out who was cheating in the classic ranked games... It is not cool if you paid for the game...

So perhaps having two pool of people... PAID accounts VS free... Will remove frustrations from those who actually care about the game and not the free loaders... BTW, please make a hoodie!!! <3 - I am an artist so if you need help to make some cool apparel that could help raise more money and the such.

Keep being awesome everyone... I don't usually post here but this is I think a common frustration with experienced players.

Well, they already have 2 pools of paid vs free (Coven vs classic). Considering the disproportionate amount of people in the two pools, adding a third pool just seems like it will spread out the ranked players even more.

Also, just because someone pays for an account, it doesn't guarantee that they are a good player. It just means that they are willing to throw money at the game.
lavaheart23
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Joacgroso » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:00 pm

lavaheart23 wrote:
Taeila wrote:I personally think that this ranking system isn't fun for experienced players... it should weight in how many games you played in TOTAL and not just the 10 practice etc... a lot of people cheat. And sadly I spent the entire night trying to figure out who was cheating in the classic ranked games... It is not cool if you paid for the game...

Well, they already have 2 pools of paid vs free (Coven vs classic). Considering the disproportionate amount of people in the two pools, adding a third pool just seems like it will spread out the ranked players even more.

Also, just because someone pays for an account, it doesn't guarantee that they are a good player. It just means that they are willing to throw money at the game.

Most trolls aren't willing to waste money just to get banned. A paywall would reduce toxic players a lot. However, you made a good point. The player base would split even more if this were implemented.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby TheLadyOfChaos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Hey, after the update, the game hasn't been working. It keeps showing the loading screen after you put in your username and password. It never loads. The bar doesn't even change. It just stays there.
TheLadyOfChaos

Postby Jerme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 pm

TheLadyOfChaos wrote:Hey, after the update, the game hasn't been working. It keeps showing the loading screen after you put in your username and password. It never loads. The bar doesn't even change. It just stays there.

Thats odd, as many others are able to play as usual...
Which client/browser are you using?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TheLadyOfChaos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 am

Thats odd, as many others are able to play as usual...
Which client/browser are you using?[/quote]

I'm using chrome usually, should i try something else?

*Update, tried both Firefox and Sirfari, and nieither worked. I would have guessed that it was the school's wifi blocking it, but it didn't work at my house either.
TheLadyOfChaos

Postby quirkycloudysword » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 am

same thing's happening to me
quirkycloudysword
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Joco » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:06 am

I just came back to the game after a few months hiatus. But unfortunately to my surprise this game evolved (or rather devolved) into something incredibly dull and boring.

The main reason for this is the role list change in ranked. By removing the "Any" and "Neutral Benign" roles, the game lost a lot of variance and surprise factor. Yes, Neutral roles may have ended games as kingmakers, but that overall wasn't enough justificaton for it's removal. With these changes the Neutral Killing roles have been weakened down a lot. Only killing roles that is playable under these circumstances is Serial Killer. 3 Random Town roles is a terrible replacement as it is just increases the chances of town having a broken role combinations or just a terrible list of roles.

I honestly feel like this game taken a step to the wrong direction with this update.

What I wouldve liked to see instead was Neutral Benign to include the "Vampire" role, so it would appear more often in games.
Joco
Jester
Jester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements