Scroll System Breakdown

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Scroll System Breakdown

Postby shapesifter13 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey Everyone I am the Community Manager for BMG if you didn't know who I was.

Since there are so many new things this patch we have obviously gotten many questions on social media about some of the new things, such as scrolls. I am making this post to explain how scrolls work, and what they do, but first a bit of background on these "lots" you are seeing in the new water wheel. Everyone starts with 10 base lots for each role in the game. 10 lots per person, 15 people, that makes 150 total lots, and a 7% chance to get each role in a game.

What they are:
Scrolls are consumables that can be bought in the shop for 200 TP each currently. Consumables are items that are consumed when used. We didn't want players to pay 200 TP for a one time chance to become a role though, so the scrolls are only consumed once you get the role that the specific scroll is for.

What they do:
Scrolls will give you 10x the chance to get a role. This means that you now have 100 lots for that role. Increasing your lots increases the total lots to though, so 100 lots for you, 10 for everyone(if no one else has a scroll for that role) that makes 240 lots, and a 41.6% or 42% chance to get that role.

Why are they in the game?:
People sometimes want to play certain roles, or try to earn wins/achievements with certain roles. This system gives them a better chance to become those roles if they are willing to spend the points on it.

If everyone has scrolls how will I ever get a "good" role:
Regardless of what your favorite role is, or what you consider a "good" role, everyone will not always have a scroll for it. Scrolls are 200 points each. If you have a decent win rate, lets say ~60% it takes you ~25 games to buy a scroll without earning any achievements or first wins of the day.(~15 games at 10 points a piece, and 10 games at 5 points a piece. 150+50) Achievements, and first wins of he day will lower this by a fair amount, but it will still take time to rebuild the money spent from buying a scroll.

Why do I never get the role my scroll is for?:
Probability. The way probability works is I have X chance to get Y role, as long as X is less than 100%, then there is a chance that after 100 games I have still not gotten Y role, even if X=99.99%. There is also the issue of having the role in the game or not. With an Any, or any Random in the role list it is POSSIBLE for the role to be in the game, and IF, and only IF that role is in the game that is the percentage shown for getting that role. Scrolls do no increase the chance of that role being in the game, just your chance to be it if it is in the game.
EX:
Take the Classic set up. There is a Random Town in the role list. This means it is POSSIBLE for any town role to be in that game. This means all town roles will show up on the wheel, but not all town roles will be in the game. Say that Random Town ended up being Mayor, if you had a Spy scroll it would say you had a 42% chance to be Spy, but since the Random Town was Mayor your scroll had no effect on that game.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Return to Announcements