The NEW Refer-A-Friend System

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: The NEW Refer-A-Friend System

Postby MajesticNobody » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Uhmmm wrote:
Uhmmm wrote:
shapesifter13 wrote:Be sure to read the original post fully everyone :D

Your friends have to make a real money purchase for them to be counted because of the abuse of the old system.

I still don't believe that the old system really had abuse. And I still believe that if you really wanted your Refer-A-Friend system to get actual use, requiring a real money purchase won't work.

If you really wanted to get rid of "abuse" in the old system, here is how you'd do it properly. Require a CAPTCHA whenever creating an account (I don't know if you do this anyways, but still). Then, require that the new account WINS a certain number of games before getting credit. If you require a new account to WIN a certain number of games rather than simply playing a number of games, theoretical bots wouldn't be able to join games just for a play. I'd suggest 50 games.

Even though I disagree in the first place that bots were joining games and going afk just for referral credit, wouldn't this be a valid solution for the "problem" that keeps the integrity of the game intact?

Shapesifter, if you have any counterarguments I'd love to hear them. Every time I propose something like this, it just gets completely ignored or you go back to the "bots" argument.

Five days, no response. I honestly don't care that you require a real money purchase, but please don't pretend the reason is because you want to combat abuse of the system. The reason is you want money. Which is an okay and completely legitimate reason. But if the devs are serious about wanting to recruit more players to the game, then my solution is better because it motivates people to recruit their friends/people on social media who don't have the money to make real money purchases.

Exactly what i was thinking :|
Naru2008 wrote:
MajesticNobody wrote:So what about people...like me who recommend this game to friends get them to make an account.(they love the game now) so why should i then take an extra effort refer people. It really doesn't do anything but reward people who have extra money to use on games. I like the ten game Limit better. This way everyone is rewarded fairly, if you think about it i could recommend you guys 20 members who play the game all the time, someone else could recommend you two moderately playing users who got the game off steam. Therefor, i did more they got more. My friends look at me like I'm crazy and say stuff like 'Why would i buy it off steam if i can get it free sure they have a welcome pack but i can earn that myself..' So this just confuses me entirely. :|

It's explained in the OP as well as thoroughly explained throughout the thread.

- Steam is more optimized and stable.
- 10 games was abused by people to get rewards
- Anyone you got referred before the change counted as long as they got 10 games before hand. After that, the new RAF system requirements kick in.

I read completely through the thread but i agree with an earlier comment by Uhmm he said they should have too win 50 games before being rewarded eliminating bots and he also said that this is really a way to get money which i also agree with its okay to want money lots of websites do that but dont say its because you want more people..i doubt that.
MajesticNobody
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby shapesifter13 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:42 pm

The reason isn't bots. I don't think I have ever said it was because of bots, other people may have, but not me. There are people that will make a fake account, play 10 games(or rather afk through), then stop playing. Maybe once trial is out we can change it to like X amount of games played, and let trial weed out people trying to farm games just for rewards, but honestly I would rather not give people a reason to do that.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby MajesticNobody » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:09 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:The reason isn't bots. I don't think I have ever said it was because of bots, other people may have, but not me. There are people that will make a fake account, play 10 games(or rather afk through), then stop playing. Maybe once trial is out we can change it to like X amount of games played, and let trial weed out people trying to farm games just for rewards, but honestly I would rather not give people a reason to do that.

Thats why you should do wins rather then X amount of games played, its hard to win if your not their doing your roles job and is difficult to farm. It takes time a game is usually at least 15 minutes if you win persay....'half' of your games played and you need to win...idk 20 games. You would then have to play 40 games, times that by 15 that would be 600 minutes or..10 hours WAY to long to farm, its just to much work to do all at once. But if you were a constant user eventually it would add up. Now if you think about it why only do this, do the steam idea as well. But, it just doesn't encourage me whatsoever to invite people because NONE of them want to spend money on something they've never even tried before and they like to earn the coins themselves. And when you factor money into the equation i find it hard to believe your rewarding the people bringing in lots of loyal members. Simply because, if i persay did have extra money to use on games which this would require and would spend it on a game even though you could save it... If i used it on the game i'd either be impatient bad at saving like my brother or simply looking for something to do with it. Maybe because i invested in it i would come back and play a game heck.. This is town of Salem who wouldnt? But what if they didn't... They just never came back? Which people do i have tons of friends who are never online anymore. Then that person still got rewarded while the friend is nowhere to be seen... While someone else could have invited a friend who is playing ALL THE TIME. And i know it won't always happen but...there should be a way to reward most if not all people who have refered a friend who is an ACTUAL loyal member.
MajesticNobody
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby DaJaanichu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:33 am

i referred my cousin, my sister and my friend about the game, (names being Inaam123, XFizzyFairyX and jibjabmessy) but i didnt get any town points or a lobby icon. why is this? :cry: :?:
DaJaanichu

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:11 am

DaJaanichu wrote:i referred my cousin, my sister and my friend about the game, (names being Inaam123, XFizzyFairyX and jibjabmessy) but i didnt get any town points or a lobby icon. why is this? :cry: :?:

Please refer to all previous posts before yours, as well as the Original Post posted by Achilles - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26003
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RLMadd » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 pm

so I'm trying to understand how this RAF system works since I have a friend that wants to play with me. I'm a steam player what do I need to do in order to refer?
RLMadd

Postby MajesticNobody » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:04 pm

Achilles wrote:
Uhmmm wrote:Honestly though, YouTubers are still going to be the only ones who have referred friends who will spend money on the game. Most of my friends, and probably most friends in general, aren't going to just buy a game on steam instantly if they can just play through the browser for free. I understand that you give them aesthetic rewards for purchasing Town Points and Steam, but that's really not the point of the Refer a Friend system. The point is to refer a friend to the game in order to increase your number of players because the more number of players, the more ad revenue from the login screen and the more likely they will, at a later time, purchase Town Points or the Steam version.

If your only concern with making accounts with 10 games get credit is the fact that fake accounts can be used and a bot can be used, increase the game number to 50 like it is in ranked. It gives people incentive to keep playing and it increases the value of the account, making people less likely to break the rules in the future.

Also, aren't bots against your Terms of Service? I vaguely remember that they are. Also I haven't seen a single Town of Salem bot on the web and only a very, very, very select few people would have the skill, time, and effort to put into making a bot just to cheat your system. It just doesn't seem worth it to require an in-app purchase.

If you aren't sure your friends will buy steam or in-app purchases then invite more than 5 =)

Increasing the count to 50 instead of 10 just makes the potential for AFKing or bots worse. That doesn't solve the problem. Also you don't have to make a bot to AFK through games.

3 days ago I banned 15 accounts that had 1500+ games played. Someone made a bot that would create parties and play with 14 other accounts to farm town points. It was never reported because they were in their own games. So yes, there are bots and if you give people more incentive to bot there will be even more.

I mentioned bits earlier and the original poster replied to me (forgot his user) and told me SPECIFICALLY that the problem was NOT bot but afk people and said he never said anything about bots so clearly that not what it was made for...but i see your point. This is why you do win because you have to be there that bot thing wouldnt work due to it being constant draws which make the game end quickly therefor giving them SO MANY games played.
MajesticNobody
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby shapesifter13 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 am

He mentioned it was part of the problem, very different than the only problem.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby CaramelCube » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:37 pm

How do you Refer A Friend? I've been lookin for ages and can never figure it out. I have the Steam version
CaramelCube

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:21 pm

CaramelCube wrote:How do you Refer A Friend? I've been lookin for ages and can never figure it out. I have the Steam version

Reading the thread would help immensely.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby harbinger4467 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 pm

if i refer a friend to the steam game when they already play it in browser do i still get the referal if they link they're browser account t steam?
harbinger4467
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:28 pm

harbinger4467 wrote:if i refer a friend to the steam game when they already play it in browser do i still get the referal if they link they're browser account t steam?

No, they have to be a new user.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bombolz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 am

How do I refer people?
Bombolz
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:13 am

Bombolz wrote:How do I refer people?

Read the first post.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bombolz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:29 am

Naru2008 wrote:
Bombolz wrote:How do I refer people?

Read the first post.

Oh right, mb, just thought that there would be a link I could send or something.
Bombolz
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby KinkyReaper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:28 pm

So i have to have a friend buy money then refer them?
KinkyReaper

Postby Kibao42 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:25 am

I understand that no one cares about my opinion but i feel that making it necessary to have friends pay money on the game it kind of ruins the charm of it being a free game. I believe that there should be a rule that they have to log a certain number of hours to give their friend referral points. especially because the amount that you earn from refering them is nothing compared to what they are paying for the content to get you it.
Kibao42
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby arikryu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Dang, that sucks. I actually persuaded a lot of my friends to play this, but they're not going to pay for it. I thought that every time your friend earned town points, you earned some of it too or something xD

Haha, I probably misread it...
arikryu

Postby murat1996 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:59 pm

arikryu wrote:Dang, that sucks. I actually persuaded a lot of my friends to play this, but they're not going to pay for it. I thought that every time your friend earned town points, you earned some of it too or something xD

Haha, I probably misread it...

Don't feel down about it, it's just how the system ended up as.
33-40-3 : My FM Record

Hosted: VFM13

My discord is fluffymurat#2318 if you really want it I guess...it's now a legacy name.

My discord is just fluffymurat
murat1996
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby Spookleton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:20 am

Quick question: Would it count if I gifted one of my Steam friends the game and they log in through Steam after having refered me when registering here on the forum?

'Cause I'd be more than happy to shell out the cost for 5 extra copies of Town of Salem on Steam.
You just got spooked by Sir Spookleton.
Spookleton
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby TurdPile » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:00 am

TheNorwegianDragon wrote:Quick question: Would it count if I gifted one of my Steam friends the game and they log in through Steam after having refered me when registering here on the forum?

'Cause I'd be more than happy to shell out the cost for 5 extra copies of Town of Salem on Steam.

I do think that would work
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Spookleton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:01 am

TurdPile wrote:
TheNorwegianDragon wrote:Quick question: Would it count if I gifted one of my Steam friends the game and they log in through Steam after having refered me when registering here on the forum?

I do think that would work

Yeah, I tested it out with a friend and asked on the Ask Questions part of the forum. It does work!
You just got spooked by Sir Spookleton.
Spookleton
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Artonix » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:05 pm

i refered a friend but its saying i didnt, what do i do
Artonix

Postby Ozyrox » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Artonix wrote:i refered a friend but its saying i didnt, what do i do

The friend that you referred has to purchase town points from the shop, purchase some sort of special deal or have the steam version of the game. After that they have to play 10 games. This process stops people from making multiple accounts and referring themselves
Refresh for a new GIF!!

Spoiler: MY ROLE IDEAS

Ozyrox
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Brutallize » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:41 am

Did I get this right? In order to ACTUALLY RAF I have to give real money in order to get reward from my RAF?
Brutallize

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements