Should we move away from Facebook?

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Should we move away from Facebook?

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 am

Hey guys,

Josh and I have been talking about the merits and downfalls of having the Facebook login. Not many people have been using the FB login, what do you guys think about the issue?
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Re: Should we move away from Facebook?

Postby HiddenNinja55 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:59 am

Well it's honestly easier to log in directly and there's no point in using the FB log in.
HiddenNinja55

Postby TurdPile » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

Merit: Having it linked into Facebook App... really, what's the downside of that one? You get access to a huge population base.
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

Currently we are having issues with the Facebook stuff with friends and partys because Facebook names are not unique. It will be very nasty to refactor our code to get it working with Facebook correctly. Thats why I bring this up as the last time I checked, maybe 10% of the players use the FB login.
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Postby TurdPile » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 am

PyromonkeyGG wrote:Currently we are having issues with the Facebook stuff with friends and partys because Facebook names are not unique. It will be very nasty to refactor our code to get it working with Facebook correctly. Thats why I bring this up as the last time I checked, maybe 10% of the players use the FB login.

10% is like 5000 people :o

But i mean if you are going to remove facebook, might as well do it during alpha.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 am

TurdPile wrote:
PyromonkeyGG wrote:Currently we are having issues with the Facebook stuff with friends and partys because Facebook names are not unique. It will be very nasty to refactor our code to get it working with Facebook correctly. Thats why I bring this up as the last time I checked, maybe 10% of the players use the FB login.

10% is like 5000 people :o

But i mean if you are going to remove facebook, might as well do it during alpha.

it may be 5000 people but how many of them wouldn't just make a regular account? Also, this doesn't mean we won't add in Facebook again in the future. We are just playing around with the idea right now.
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Postby LordofFail » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 am

I dont mind the FB login - just as long as people's names arent used.

Also seeing as how most people login normally, I don't really see the point of having a FB login - if people are coming though FB, just have them login like everyone else - just like the forums / game on the FB page...
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby datdownie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 pm

No! Don't move away from FB! My FB account has been so successful in Town of Salem, people may forget me! Keep FB, and it shouldn't be bad for newcomers, as they would probably use their FB account rather than use a ToS account. Thanks!

"Determination, the ability to move forward despite any possible hardship, the promise to return for a second chance no matter how much you're beaten and bloody. The power of Determination has sculpted legends for all of humanity, impossible feats, one in a million shots made like they're nothing, while those that pull them off stand alone."

If you want to find me, hop onto Board Game Online <3

Discord: Downie#0904
datdownie
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby iggyvolz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:41 pm

I personally don't use Facebook login because I don't want my personal name displayed (I prefer to keep my real life and online life separate because I'm just a teen and some of my friends would think the things I do online are geeky). But once private lobbies are added, I'm going to try to convince some of my friends to make a group and play this on a regular basis.

One option would be adding a Facebook login plugin to PHPBB. I know plugins are a huge pain to add (honestly I think PHPBB needs to be completely restructured, but that's just my off-topic opinion), but creating a forum account with a Facebook login would be a great asset to the game. Authentication wouldn't need to be terribly complicated (get Facebook user ID, compare to a database showing Facebook user ID's => PHPBB ID's, get PHPBB user). If you ever need help with that you can message me (I'm especially skilled at PHP and not-so-skilled at Actionscript).
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby AWWYEAH » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I wouldn't suggest moving away from Facebook, simply for the reason that Facebook is a online social pit filled with people talking to people.
So I ask you, whats a better way to get recognition than person to person reference on a gigantic social network.
I'd say use it to your advantage.
AWWYEAH
Jester
Jester

Postby TurdPile » Thu May 01, 2014 7:23 am

Here's my Final word on this:
Keep it, but change the mechanics.
Allow a user to login via facebook, but once that occurs, force them to pick a username. Therefore, their real name is not used (ref. Cerilium), and also, you can link account data with said username as real names are not unique (ref. Blake).

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby PoisonMaid » Thu May 01, 2014 2:38 pm

iggyvolz wrote:I personally don't use Facebook login because I don't want my personal name displayed (I prefer to keep my real life and online life separate because I'm just a teen and some of my friends would think the things I do online are geeky). But once private lobbies are added, I'm going to try to convince some of my friends to make a group and play this on a regular basis.

One option would be adding a Facebook login plugin to PHPBB. I know plugins are a huge pain to add (honestly I think PHPBB needs to be completely restructured, but that's just my off-topic opinion), but creating a forum account with a Facebook login would be a great asset to the game. Authentication wouldn't need to be terribly complicated (get Facebook user ID, compare to a database showing Facebook user ID's => PHPBB ID's, get PHPBB user). If you ever need help with that you can message me (I'm especially skilled at PHP and not-so-skilled at Actionscript).

I agree with this.. that way people can still use their fb login.
But also(just a suggestion) add a choice to use forum name or FB name.
I myself would rather not use FB login. But there are some people that would rather prefer using FB.
Proud Mommy 01/10/17 with another on the way 11/20/18
<3
PoisonMaid
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby TheWanderer » Sat May 03, 2014 6:11 am

My opinion is to get rid of it. Facebook has all kinds of privacy problems and is just a pretty horrible company in general that doesn't listen to their users or care about them or their privacy. They just want to mine people's data and sell them to advertisers. Facebook may be big, but people are unhappy with it. It's like a town of zombies. In the long run they're going to go the way of Myspace. I don't think good places on the internet should be associated with Facebook. Also, self-reliance and all that. Better not to depend on other companies and keep everything within your control.
TheWanderer
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby DyingTempest » Sun May 04, 2014 7:08 pm

I say keep it because I've been able to get my friends to try your game this way. Many people shy away from making an account first go.

They do not use it anymore because they liked the game and made proper accounts, but if they had to go through hoops I don't think they would have tried the game.
DyingTempest

Postby TurdPile » Mon May 05, 2014 2:28 am

willypt wrote:I say keep it.
You can benefit from Facebook's auto post in the future.
Get an achievement? POST!
Unlock a new skin? POST!
Becomes a survivor? POST! :)

Also, in the future, people wants everything to be connected and can be accessed from a place.
Why would Google introduce auto login the linked account when accessing Google websites via Android browser? :/

This is why I would keep it.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Taren » Mon May 05, 2014 4:06 am

I don't think anyone has ever actually thought 'You know what would be great? Posting this virtual achievement to Facebook to spam everyone I know!' At least I don't know anyone who isn't annoyed by these things. Might be in a bubble, though.

Anyway, could you bring Facebook login users to choose a unique user name when logging in for the first time? Or use a unique identifier linked to the account under the hood? Integration into Facebook, especially easy friend invites, might really help spreading word of mouth. Just be sure to make it optional and I wouldn't mind.
Taren
Donor
Donor

Postby Makrell » Mon May 05, 2014 4:09 am

Keep keep keep, it is a good way to see if your friends are playing the game :D
NO
Makrell
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby TheWanderer » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 am

Taren wrote:I don't think anyone has ever actually thought 'You know what would be great? Posting this virtual achievement to Facebook to spam everyone I know!' At least I don't know anyone who isn't annoyed by these things. Might be in a bubble, though.

Anyway, could you bring Facebook login users to choose a unique user name when logging in for the first time? Or use a unique identifier linked to the account under the hood? Integration into Facebook, especially easy friend invites, might really help spreading word of mouth. Just be sure to make it optional and I wouldn't mind.

This. Constant blabbering on about every trivial thing being promoted as sharing it on social media is everything that's wrong with the internet today. It's the opposite of being privacy-aware.

Unlock a new skin? POST!

Also, in the future, people wants everything to be connected and can be accessed from a place.
Why would Google introduce auto login the linked account when accessing Google websites via Android browser? :/

I really don't agree with this at all. Like Taren said, it might be alright to have it as a feature used to find your friends who also play it, and as long as it's an optional thing that's not shoved down our throats like Google+ crap I wouldn't mind keeping facebook around in some form. But I definitely don't want to be asked to share every little thing I do, after every game, after every turn, after every sentence I type. I've even seen some sites now where whenever you highlight text, a 'share on facebook' button pops up trying to get you to share that highlighted text. My god what is the world coming to?

Excessive promotion of social media is pretty much the worst thing ever. I almost refused to play this game at first because it only had Facebook login.
TheWanderer
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Mon May 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Unlock a new skin? POST!

This is the exact opposite of why I would want to keep the Facebook login. I never want to be known as "that annoying facebook game". Spamming peoples walls is the fast track to becoming annoying. Since I wouldn't want a game doing that while I was playing it, Town of Salem won't be doing that.
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Return to Announcements